Looking for an electronic expert

austinibew145

Hello, I have been looking for someone to bounce ideas off of, and get some help solving issues that I'm sure are simple. I checked some electronics web sites, nothing useful so far. So I thought why haven't I checked with the most intelligent people on the internet? The men and women of turbobuick.com... So what I am looking for is; someone or even a website that I can get some help brushing up my electronic engineer skills. It's been too long since I used them. Also I have started C language programming. I would like help with that as well.

Thanks for any info!!

You tried stackexchange? EDA board? PIClist? There are many others. That is kind of a vague question you posed. Suggest you start some project of interest and in the course of working thru it you post specific questions somewhere you feel comfortable. Google and lots of reading to come up to speed. A career change meant I had to do do a 20 year catch-up some time ago,- its hard work but can be done.

Yes, my question was vague. I am not looking to change careers. I enjoy electrical work. I have some more free time on my hands and I have been filling it with a hobby I had before turbo buick. I have spent a lot of hours reading, and looking at schematics. I have watched some videos. I have a hand full of projects I have been working on. Example I have been working on an FM transmitter. There are a bunch on the net. I built it and it didn't work well. So I started messing with it. I ordered a small oscilloscope to check the gain on the transistors. So far I am not getting anything past the first transistor. I changed to value of the resistors and nothing. I swapped transistors too... so I ordered a DVM that can test transistors. Any how... I think I am just missing something basic. It's been almost 14 years since I have tinkered.

Another thing I have gotten into is some programming. I have always wanted to mess with it since I started installing Jonson controllers among other stuff. The biggest problem was getting the soft where. I stumbled upon an arduino micro controller. It's really neat. I have played with the basics and want to get more compacted, but I would like to talk to someone who knows something so I don't get lost and learn things the wrong way.

I will check out the sites you listed. I have not stumbled upon any of them. Thanks for your reply.

lol I knew more about it when I was a kid than what I know now. Anybody else grow up playing with these?

IMG_4856.JPG

RF? RF is voodoo.I think you picked a tougher one there. Parts behave differently, new factors come into play and physical layout becomes critical. A ham radio forum might be a good place to ask. LTSpice is a nice simulation program but it may not be ideal ( parts models) at your frequencies of interest.

I have been researching amplifiing transistors. Just to get past the first part. I built a am-fm radio in collage. This should be easy... I am going to attempt to make a scrolling marquee when the parts get here. I am working on a led matrix now. I want to dimm it so more transistors!!!

I want to make an induction heater too.

Attachments

• IMG_5999.PNG
    IMG_5999.PNG
    615.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6338.PNG
    IMG_6338.PNG
    164.1 KB · Views: 74
Good morning! I would like to start by saying thank you for the help, Dave. So far I have downloaded the LTsplice it seems like a useful tool, but another thing I will have to learn. I look forward to using it. Once I figure out the library I'll be set. I am thinking there are some more downloads I'll have to do. I went to the EDA board and looked around. I think that will be a good place to get good info. I just picked that one at random from the list you posted. I plan on checking out the rest when I have time. What area do you Tinker in? Or is it just a work thing?

Try inventing a gerbil powered electric chair.....you'd be rich! And a great electrician. Save the taxpayers on their electric bill every time they throw the switch.

Bruce '87 Grand National

So I watched some more videos. Got some more test equipment. I found that a lot of my components were bad... If you know of any good youtubers let me know. I also pulled out my old notes from collage. I don't have a ton of time but I am getting somewhere

I found this video series...

It's slow and detailed. Good for a starting point. Trying to bridge the gap in where I am and where I want to be. I have a long way to go, but I find it interesting.

Arduinos are pleasantly simple and the clones are at an amazing pricepoint nowadays. Historically I favored JAL for PICs.
ART Of ELECTRONICS is a valuable reference, pricey but you might find a pdf of an older version in the wild.
I found I had to look at many different forums and 'tubes to match where I was was on the learning curve of that topic.
Electro- tech is another forum, EPE and Nuts and Volts magazines have forums as well