Looking at a 60s Buick help, info

wish98was87

Hey guys I know of v8buick but Im not a member there yet and I know some of you guys Have owned many sixties buicks and muscle cars. Anyway, I have been talking to the guy selling the car in the ad below and it seems like a nice car and a good deal. Do you guys know anything about the 3 speed manual? Also I really wanted something with some more power than the stock 350 cuz its not much. Is it difficult to swap a 455 or 400 into it and if i did that would a 4 speed be an option to install with it? Sorry guys I'm only 25 so dont know much about these old cars other than I know I've always wanted a lark chevelle gto or cutlass with a stick. Open to any other suggestions you guys have. Thanks! Btw here is the Craigslist ad.
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/3152991499.html
Thanks guys!

-Rich

Piece of cake to big block it. All you'll need is the frame pads that bolt to the frame, along with the correct brackets. Probably would have to upgrade front springs too. Here is a pic of my 70 GS455. Doesn't look bad for that price. Phil.

IMG957783.jpg

A four speed is more collectible and better for racing 'cause you can keep the RPMs in a tighter range. That said, a 3-speed will still be plenty fun. And a 350 can be made to run as strong as you can handle. A little low end cam, some 1.75" headers, true duals with cutouts and stealthy quiet mufflers, a well built quadrajet and a low rise dual plane intake manifold would make for an enjoyable street car.

68 was the first year of the 350 for Buick but make sure it's still a Buick engine in it. If it's original then you might look at doing some mods to the block and heads which will help oiling on the top. The origina 350 oiled the rockers through a passage into the head and it would get blocked quite often causing an oiling issue to the top. One thing you might want to do is go visit the Buick V8 sites and do a little reading on them. One guy has gotten 1K HP out of the 350 Buick with a single 4 barrel so they can be made to do some serious performance.:eek:

Now one other thing I will point out here. In the late 60's GM used saginaw trannys but in some of the cars the 3 speed manual was a ford top loader 3 speed. It's possible that this one might have the top loader in it, but most of them were put in Olds cars. Either tranny would work fine though.;)

Piece of cake to big block it. All you'll need is the frame pads that bolt to the frame, along with the correct brackets. Probably would have to upgrade front springs too. Here is a pic of my 70 GS455. Doesn't look bad for that price. Phil.

View attachment 166173
haha i hope thats photoshopped.. otherwise you'd probably be in movies! haha.. beautiful car though Phil. When I was growing up on Long Island I would go to some of the impromptu car shows almost every night of the week and a guy I would talk to every week had a fire engine red stage one with black interior and top with a 4 speed (probably was a clone but never knew) and that began my love of buicks..that 455 crammed in the engine bay just looked and sounded awesome.. i know most buicks didnt have a stick so i figured maybe this car would be easier to drop a 455 into if i wanted (and if needed m20 or 21) than to get an auto and convert it to a 3/4 speed.. but ill check out v8 buick and start looking around. Thanks again fellas!

-Rich

wish98was87 said:
haha i hope thats photoshopped.. otherwise you'd probably be in movies! haha.. beautiful car though Phil. When I was growing up on Long Island I would go to some of the impromptu car shows almost every night of the week and a guy I would talk to every week had a fire engine red stage one with black interior and top with a 4 speed (probably was a clone but never knew) and that began my love of buicks..that 455 crammed in the engine bay just looked and sounded awesome.. i know most buicks didnt have a stick so i figured maybe this car would be easier to drop a 455 into if i wanted (and if needed m20 or 21) than to get an auto and convert it to a 3/4 speed.. but ill check out v8 buick and start looking around. Thanks again fellas!

-Rich

Yea, they made it smaller!!

i got a guy down here that was bisons old room mate that builds 4 speeds m20 / m21 / m22 . he could rebuild you a original tranny with or without a core or he can make you one out of all new parts which are actually stronger than the originals. we are only 2 1/2 hours from you and he ships them all over the country if you dont want to make the ride.

if it were my car i would turbo whats in there and throw in a th400 but thats just me.