Long distance car buying--advice?

mscj

Looking at some longer distances to purchase a car--time and finances won't allow me to go and inspect. Any of you guys who have done it before have any advice?

Best bet is to get someone on the board to check the car out for you and offer some $$ for their time.

i purchased my gn on-line had the guy make me a video of the car running and all around shots, worked out great

Bought mine via phone and email. Checked with the local mech who built the engine, and all seemed ok. Sent the funds, and made a contract with the seller- if I fly in and decide not to buy, he was to have a cashier's check ready to pick up at his bank, and then drop me at the airport.

Very stand up guy, easy transaction, and no regrets. Just don't be so excited to buy the car that you get screwed.....

ask every question imaginable. get lots of pictures of absolutely everything! tell the owner to see ALL of the bad spots on the car wether they are big or little so you are not surprised when you go see it. I bought a car from trading t/a that was 1,000mi away sight unseen, he was extremely helpful and truthful. If the seller isn't willing to tell you every single flaw on the car in great detail, then its probably not worth the trip. Its also a good idea to talk to them on the phone as much as possible, its much easier to detect a liar or a fraud through voice instead of just typed words. Good Luck man!

Best bet is to get someone on the board to check the car out for you and offer some $$ for their time.

I did that when looking for another GN. I must say, this board is excellent for this type of thing and saved me thousands of dollars. Every car I looked at online looked great. When someone went to check it out for me I would find they had been smashed up or had parts missing or just a turd in general.

Then I figured the one I decided on was only 250 miles away so I didnt have anyone go check it out. In a way I am glad I got such a low mileage heap of garbage. I paid way to much for it but it was 100% stock so I know every last thing that has been done to this car right down to what bolts I used in the headers (you know, the smaller ones so you dont cut yourself when you change the plugs).

I bought my 86 only seeing pics, pming the owner....Well I did meet him once while I was in Mass. on buz..and he bought lunch.
It works if it's someone that has been on the board for a while too..
Had him install some parts, flow up there and drove the car back home.

If you are serious about a specific car, you should see it in person...If that means spending $500 for a ticket to fly then do it. Just my opinion, I sold three cars to out of state buyers. One flew in and drove it back and was very pleased ('86 T-Type). The other two purchased sight unseen and were also extremely happy ('87 WE4 and '90 Land Cruiser), but I'm honest and send tons and tons of photos and documentation. I have driven hundreds of miles to see a car that was supposed to be cherry only to be extremely disappointed by an absolute POS, but satisfied in the fact that I saw it in person before I laid down money to buy a basket case.