Lockup or Non-Lockup

wantattype2

I am building my Car combination along the TSA guide lines and know I need a new convertor. My car will be street driven 90% of the time with yearly trips to GS Nationals 800 miles round trip and BPG Nationals 200 miles round trip. Should I stick with the Lockup style convertor or go with a Non Lockup set up? My mods are in the signature line.

I am building my Car combination along the TSA guide lines and know I need a new convertor. My car will be street driven 90% of the time with yearly trips to GS Nationals 800 miles round trip and BPG Nationals 200 miles round trip. Should I stick with the Lockup style convertor or go with a Non Lockup set up? My mods are in the signature line.

If you are able to spool/build boost that turbo with the tsock D5 then I would stay with L/U and get dusty to build you a 2600/ good slip % unlocked convertor and NOT force l/u and WOT.

Anything over 2800 is crap unocked and will just lay over from the middle of second on.

I have the same turbo as you (but not BB), and you will want the non lock converter from Dusty, best to get the tranny built (if it's not already), while you have it out. You need to have the tranny, set up for the non lock converter also.

Chuck

Thank You to all that replied ! I guess what I was looking for is the Pros and Cons comparison of the non lockup to the lockup convertor on highway driven street car ?
Also what differences to look for in a lockup convertor as you can spend anywhere from $450. to $950. on one.

For me it comes down to the overall et goal you have in mind.

If you want something in the 10's either my 9.5 non lock or a lock-up designed for WOT locking is the only way to go. The lock-ups will begin to slip excessively in the 10 second range when raced un-locked. The 9.5 non lock will spool like a loose converter and couple like a WOT locked unit so you get a converter that works both ends of the track.

If your happy with mid 11's then a single disc lock-up will be fine. The difference between a $450 lock-up and a $950 lock-up is usually the capability to lock at WOT. The trans needs to be able to handle WOT lock-ups though as they can be rough on the stock parts.

The non lock will rpm higher when climbing a hill vs a lock-up.

If you are able to spool/build boost that turbo with the tsock D5 then I would stay with L/U and get dusty to build you a 2600/ good slip % unlocked convertor and NOT force l/u and WOT.

Anything over 1800 is crap unocked and will just lay over from the middle of second on.

Corrected it..meant 2800

Thanks to all of you for your input, It is nice to benefit from your experience !
Dusty if my et goal is low 11's can you build a 9.5 non lock converter thats not a tire fryer and has a decent 65mph cruise RPM of 2000 to 2200 RPM with 3.42 gears ?

Thanks to all of you for your input, It is nice to benefit from your experience !
Dusty if my et goal is low 11's can you build a 9.5 non lock converter thats not a tire fryer and has a decent 65mph cruise RPM of 2000 to 2200 RPM with 3.42 gears ?
He can easily do that.

Lock-up/you'll break things, non-lock/you'll loose MPH..if go non-lock, might want to change gears to 3:20's

Enjoy!

I've run a variety of lockups and my preference is a good non lockup unless it's a daily driver. My 9.5" PTC I got from Dusty tightens up on the top end so well that I had to go back down to a 26" tire to get my RPM's up. No BS. Times and mph are in my sig.

Like Bison said, that's not an issue.

The shift rpm will have a good bit to do with the slip at cruise as well. If I make a converter tight to help with slip at cruise it may have excessive rpm drop if the engine shifts at 5800 rpm for example. I have to balance between tight for cruise without pulling the motor down too far at the gear change.

Lock-up/you'll break things, non-lock/you'll loose MPH..if go non-lock, might want to change gears to 3:20's

Enjoy!

Not anymore:D

If your non lock is nothing more than a lock-up converter minus the clutch, yes it will probably loose some mph. If it's a purpose built non lock, you can gain mph.