Lockup Methods

Duts87ss

Is there any reason to use a single-wire-style fourth gear lockup over having and ECM control lockup? I'm about to install a freshly built 200-4R that was built with the TH400-style electrical connector in the case. Would it be to my benefit to leave it like this or is it okay to convert the wiring to allow my ECM to take care of lockup duty?

If you search on here, one of the reasons to go to a Non-lock converter is the issues with getting it to lock at the right time. The ECM does this (I'm guess?) without all the hassles of vacuum switches, delays, relays, etc so it's probably best to go this way unless you want it to lock under different conditions, to what the ECM would normally do.
I'm converting to a TH2004R, with LU converter, so I'm having to purchase/make a time delay switch, vacuum switch and relays to try to mimic the lock-up characteristics of an ECM. Depends what you're trying to achieve but it sounds like you'd be best to go the ECM route. Just my 2 cents, after a few, on a Saturday night. LOL!