Locking converter with non-lock TT chip?

jskarateka

So the TT chip I have is a non-lock because I was a newbe at the time and didn't really know what to get. Anyway, I have confirmed that my trans and converter is setup to lock. The wire harness to the trans is currently disconnected though, and has been since I bought the car.

I would now like to try and lock the converter at WOT in third gear when at the track. If I plug the trans wire harness back in, can I lock with a switch wired to that plug under the dash or do I need to get a new TT chip?

Thanks for the help.

If you have a lock up converter. Best to hook up harness, get lock up chip and let it lock in 4th to avoid overheating/ burning up transmission.
After that, put in the manual lockup override for racing.
You could also lock up in 4th manually all the time to avoid overheating but it's a hassle

86 T-type modified
86 T-type. Lightly modified

Mikestertwo;

Harness was disconnected when I bought it, dont know why. Then I had the trans rebuilt high performance and my trans guy asked me if I wanted it connected so it would lock. I said no because of the chip.

Converter is a locking PTC 2800 from Dusty.

Drewster;

I will get a new chip. In the mean time though, how do you lock manually?

Thanks guys.

The chip will still lock, so you are good. I don't take out the lockup capability (there's no reason to).
Regards,
Eric

Mikestertwo;

Harness was disconnected when I bought it, dont know why. Then I had the trans rebuilt high performance and my trans guy asked me if I wanted it connected so it would lock. I said no because of the chip.

Converter is a locking PTC 2800 from Dusty.

Drewster;

I will get a new chip. In the mean time though, how do you lock manually?

Thanks guys.

If you want to lock it manually, you need to connect the top left and top right port of the aldl. One is ground and the other is ground side to the TC solenoid so that'll lock it up if everything is working right. Careful locking those single disc TC's at wot though. It'll last for a while.

Just like we4mateo said. To do a quick check to see if it works, you can use a paperclip to connect Pins A (gnd on top rt) and pin F (tcc on top left). The converter should lock in all gears except 1st. Should also unlock when brakes are applied.
For more permanent connection use a switch with no internal indication light. Connect one side to any ground ( I used the steering column support bolt). And the other side, use a splitter connector on the F pin wire behind the ALDL.
Routine lock up at WOT will eat the TCC unless built for it.
I believe you can also power the TCC solenoid thought the 4 gear trans switch so it will lock whenever in 4th. But don't have experience with that. Usually used when there is no Computer in your car. The chip works the best.

86 T-type modified
86 T-type. Lightly modified

Sorry, though you were talking about cruise lock. You can lock it at WOT like these guys have described.

However, not sure that converter is designed to be locked at WOT.