Limited 6L LS Conversion

I have been following this build since you started. I have long contemplated the same build. Ls parts are readily availible and cheap if you work at a dealer like me! :biggrin:

All kidding aside what an awesome build. We have a few locals similar LS swaps ranging from 76-88mm turbos. All run in the 9's, and are very well mannered on the street of course!

Hey Guys,
I brought the car to the LSFest at Bowling Green this weekend. I finally made a couple of hits today. It went a 10.79 @ 126.8 with the stock wheels and a 255/60/15 drag radial. The 60' sucked. It was only a 1.77. The car was very heavy though...3825 with me in it. It's time to take some weight out of it and work on the 60'. Hopefully I'll have more updates soon.

I finally brought it to the track as well. We're up at Bowling Green at the LSFest this weekend. I've made two hits so far. The best was a 10.79 @ 126.8. It had a very soft 1.77 sixty. Next time out, I'll use the transbrake and see if I can improve on that. Oh, the car is a pig...it weighed in at 3825 lbs with me and a full take of gas! I'll have to work on that!
Pearl2.jpg

Hey Guys,
I brought the car to the LSFest at Bowling Green this weekend. I finally made a couple of hits today. It went a 10.79 @ 126.8 with the stock wheels and a 255/60/15 drag radial. The 60' sucked. It was only a 1.77. The car was very heavy though...3825 with me in it. It's time to take some weight out of it and work on the 60'. Hopefully I'll have more updates soon.

Thanks for the update, how much boost on the 10.79 pass?

I didn't datalog that pass, but it was around 14psi. It's still running on the wastegate spring for now. Once I dial in the alky kit, I'll bump it up a little more.

I would say that is a very respectable time for the boost.... turbo.... and slow 60' time...... A+ .... that thing should run (according to my calcs) at least .4 quicker if you could get the 60' down to a 1.5........ which would put you at a 10.39 on the 14 lbs boost.... I would believe your ultimate goal of a 9.99 would be achievable when you get the alky flowing.... boost cranked up some......and everything tweaked out. Awesome.

This thread has been going awhile.... so I decided to re-read it.......sweet project.

Keep the updates coming.

I drove the car over to Holly Springs, MS last night for a Test N Tune session. It's a pretty nice 1/8 mile track. The car ran about the same 1/8 mile time as it did at Bowling Green. It went a 6.96 at 103+ at BG. The first pass was 7.00 at 101+ at Holly Springs. I tried the transbrake on a couple of passes. It just blew the tires off trying to leave at 4-5 lbs of boost. It'll be a couple of weeks before I'll get to take it out again...but I'll keep ya'll posted.

I drove the car over to Holly Springs, MS last night for a Test N Tune session. It's a pretty nice 1/8 mile track. The car ran about the same 1/8 mile time as it did at Bowling Green. It went a 6.96 at 103+ at BG. The first pass was 7.00 at 101+ at Holly Springs. I tried the transbrake on a couple of passes. It just blew the tires off trying to leave at 4-5 lbs of boost. It'll be a couple of weeks before I'll get to take it out again...but I'll keep ya'll posted.

Any updates. Hows the car running?

The only mod that I've made lately was changing the oil last night. Lol
I've been driving it every day that we've had decent weather...including today. I drive 165 miles round trip to work everyday. The car is running great. It loves the cool air too! I don't know when I'll get to the track again. I'll be gone to SEMA for the next 8 days, so it won't be anytime soon.

so from the experiance you've developed so far could you give me the do's and dont's on this project.

so from the experiance you've developed so far could you give me the do's and dont's on this project.

I'm happy with what I've done so far. Here are a couple of things that may save you some grief later on.

1. If you drop the oil pan off of the LS engine, replace the oil pump pickup tube O-ring. I didn't, so I had to remove the engine from the car and install a $5 O-ring.

2. Invest in an aftermarket radiator and some good cooling fans.

3. Don't cut corners on the turbo couplers and clamps.

4. Zip tie all of the vacuum hoses.

Did you use the 6l altenator?If so how did you wire it to the buick harness.I'm thinking of putting a 6l in my car.

Did you use the 6l altenator?If so how did you wire it to the buick harness.I'm thinking of putting a 6l in my car.

I did use the stock 6.0L alternator. It's a simple wiring procedure. One wire to the battery and one to the factory idiot light. I've got the specifics in my notes at home.

I drove the car quite a bit this last week. I went on an 8 hour round trip to my parents. It performed just fine. When I got home, I opened up my Feb 2011 edition of GM High Tech Performance and found a pic of my car from the LS Fest. :biggrin:
Pearl-1.jpg