Lets talk oil

i agree with Nick .
I stopped using rotella when i noticed the air bubbles suspended in the oil when i would check the dipstick.....i later read something about it having less anti-foaming additives since its used in low rpm diesel engines.
ive been told by many engine builders NOT to use synthetic oil in a high performance buick v6.....maybe its ok in a low mile, stockish, low load situation.

I'm no oil expert, but from what ive been told by people who do know what they are talking about, i only ran two types oil ....VR1 offroad and brad penn.
I get the same air bubbles in my other GN that uses VR1. No engine issues in that car either.

Mine isnt a street car of course since its offroad only but I only run VR1.
I use 4 quarts of 20-50 and 2.5 quarts for pure 60 with a large K&N oil filter. The sandrail is pushed hard and never gets a break. I change it after every dunes trip which is anywhere between 5-25 hours depending if its a long weekend or not.

Oil is always broken down and nasty when I get home. You have to think also that my engine hardly ever is under 4k rpm's and 10-14 psi.

Very hard on it as it doesnt have to get me home. Is there something better maybe,I like the way I have been doing it for so many years so i stay with it.
Do you give rides in that thing? How do you keep the sand out of your face? How often do you change or clean the air cleaner? Did you see the Pawn Stars episode where Rick raced Big Hoss in the sand rails? It was hilarious.

Do you give rides in that thing? How do you keep the sand out of your face? How often do you change or clean the air cleaner? Did you see the Pawn Stars episode where Rick raced Big Hoss in the sand rails? It was hilarious.

Its a 4 seater so yes on the rides..I have 2 air filters with outerwears on them.after about 1.5 days of running I will swap it out then clean it when I get home.
Yeah i was there actually when they filmed it...they are a joke

Over on the VOA forum there was a debate about the zinc and phosphorus levels of the Rotella T 15W-40. I thought I'd e-mail Shell and ask what they claimed. Here's what they said:

"Shell Rotella T Multigrade Oil SAE 15W-40 with Triple Protection Technology, our API CJ-4/SM specification product, typically contains about 1200 ppm zinc and 1100 ppm phosphorous as manufactured."

How much variability there is in the manufacturing process I don't know. I've seen VOAs that more or less confirm that, and other VOAs show lower numbers. I suppose one could assume Shell is saying something they know not to be true, but I find it hard to believe they'd do that.

Now here's the interesting part:

"...you may be interested to know that the oil was recently tested and found to meet the frictional requirements of JASO MA."
Yeah diesel oil is a no no i guess No way in hell i should be using this stuff in a performance engine :rolleyes: i'll keep using this junk you can keep using your stuff. This garbage i have in my engine works just fine for my garbage application..

Its a 4 seater so yes on the rides..I have 2 air filters with outerwears on them.after about 1.5 days of running I will swap it out then clean it when I get home.
Yeah i was there actually when they filmed it...they are a joke
Anything you'd like to share? ...just curious.

The one based in Detroit is like Jerry Springer on steroids.....now back to the oil discussion....

hello; I recently changed to M1 and after a few months without starting the car I heard no lifter noise on the first start. That's without priming it by disconecting that red wire at the bat. as I usually do. I thought that was pretty good and saying something for M1.
IBBY

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on the topic of oil. It surely made for a lively discussion. :) I emailed a few manufactures through their websites to get their take on the oil to use. I advised I had a modified 87 GN that gets driven 5,000 miles a yr and sees a few trips to the drag strip. Based upon those guidelines this is their recommendation for my vehicle.

SOPUS = Shell oil products making Pennzoil, Quakerstate and Rotella recommended Quaker State Defy 10W-40 or Rotella T6 Synthetic in 5W-40.

Mobil recommended their Mobil 1 0W-40 or their Diesel truck 5W-40

Royal Purple recommended their 10W-30 HPS.

I'm still waiting on feedback from Valvoline and Shaffer oil on what they recommend. When I'll receive I'll post their responses. As a new member I appreciate everyone's feedback and the rational they but behind their beliefs.

David A said:
Thanks to everyone for their feedback on the topic of oil. It surely made for a lively discussion. :) I emailed a few manufactures through their websites to get their take on the oil to use. I advised I had a modified 87 GN that gets driven 5,000 miles a yr and sees a few trips to the drag strip. Based upon those guidelines this is their recommendation for my vehicle.

SOPUS = Shell oil products making Pennzoil, Quakerstate and Rotella recommended Quaker State Defy 10W-40 or Rotella T6 Synthetic in 5W-40.

Mobil recommended their Mobil 1 0W-40 or their Diesel truck 5W-40

Royal Purple recommended their 10W-30 HPS.

I'm still waiting on feedback from Valvoline and Shaffer oil on what they recommend. When I'll receive I'll post their responses. As a new member I appreciate everyone's feedback and the rational they but behind their beliefs.

Great info, thanks for the research.

Great info, thanks for the research.
-Been reading this thread with interest, so I thought I'd add this to the discussion: A neighbor of mine, Bob Roland, bought his 86 GN new, and it's
currently sporting 330,ooo miles on the original,unopened engine. All he's used, since day one, is the cheapest dino oil that the local parts store sells-
lately it's been Advance's own brand. -Course he changes it regularly, and until recently, he'd never heard of ZDDP. -Kinda backs up what Nick Micale
has been trying to tell us.....

I would think this thread, and the hundreds others just like it, prove out that there is no true right answer.

As I said in the beginning of this thread," people can/will tell you a thousand different things."

Take from this what you feel is good advice, make your choice, and go forward from there.

It's that easy.

Or, it's that hard, you make the choice, or not.......:D

-Been reading this thread with interest, so I thought I'd add this to the discussion: A neighbor of mine, Bob Roland, bought his 86 GN new, and it's
currently sporting 330,ooo miles on the original,unopened engine. All he's used, since day one, is the cheapest dino oil that the local parts store sells-
lately it's been Advance's own brand. -Course he changes it regularly, and until recently, he'd never heard of ZDDP. -Kinda backs up what Nick Micale
Has it ever been to the track or does he ever run it hard? What's the story on the transmission(s)?

-Been reading this thread with interest, so I thought I'd add this to the discussion: A neighbor of mine, Bob Roland, bought his 86 GN new, and it's currently sporting 330,ooo miles on the original,unopened engine. All he's used, since day one, is the cheapest dino oil that the local parts store sells-

Has it ever been to the track or does he ever run it hard? What's the story on the transmission(s)?

My buddy John has a freind who has a brother-in-law, who has a cousin, who has a baby momma's brother and he runs Wesson oil in his car.

It's never been to the track, nor does it ever get run it hard, nor does it even run since he did his last oil change, but he's an environmentalist and that broken Buick stashed in his garage sure makes him feel like he's a true badass.......:eek: