Let's See Those 45's.

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
1.JPG

Here is an interesting pair. One Star "PD" in 45acp & one Iver Johnson "Pony" in .380. Many claim that the Star PD was the first of the aluminum framed, chopped 45's that are so common now. Both are great shooters.

~JM~

Here is my Kimber. Another great shooter. This one is all stainless steel construction.

~JM~

2.JPG

I was wondering if some type of record joke would appear. LOL.

~JM~

Had the Star version of the pony several years ago. Liked the way it shot but be aware, it likes to break the firing pins. After I made a new pin I sold it. I think I can take a pic of my .45 autos tomorrow. One's a safari lower and the other is a Astra. I like the Asra much better and it doesn't matter what you feed into it, it's never failed to function.:)

Did the firing pin break during dry firing?

From what I've been able to determine Colt contacted Star to manufacture the Pony, but then Colt backed out of the deal. That's when Iver Johnson stepped in. I have a few Star firearms that I've found over the years. They've all been good performers.
http://www.star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/d/index.shtml

~JM~

Did the firing pin break during dry firing?

From what I've been able to determine Colt contacted Star to manufacture the Pony, but then Colt backed out of the deal. That's when Iver Johnson stepped in. I have a few Star firearms that I've found over the years. They've all been good performers.
http://www.star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/d/index.shtml

~JM~
If I remember right I'd run a box or 2 through it one day and then nothing. It seemed weird to me and after several rounds that wouldn't fire I pushed on the pin from the back and figured out what had happened. I had even made new walnut grips for it that fit me really nicely. Once the pin broke I couldn't find another one so I had to make it on the lathe and mill it for the capture pin. After all that work I just decided it wasn't worth keeping it I had to repair it again so I got rid of it.

One thing I do know is that Colt did get a few of them and sold them for a while. They're very rare to find though and my old partner had one.:)

I had a Star PD but sold it when I got my Detonics .45 Mark VI Combatmaster. That started a love affair with Detonics and I ended up collection them for several years. I owned 68 or 69 Detonics of various models & calibers before I started breaking the collection down. Got rid of all guns other than three that I continue to shoot these days, along with my new Ed Brown Executive Target & my new Wilson Combat Classic Super Grade.

Detonics was a company way ahead of its time. I bet they would be more sucessfull these days.

~JM~

As promissed here's the Astra A75. You can see it gets used from the wear on the blueing. I got it off a friend several years ago and he's tried getting it back ever since. It only uses a half cock safety and a decocking lever but the magazine release is reversable. 8 rounds with 1 in the tube and fairly comfortable to carry.:)

DSCN0001.JPGDSCN0002.JPG

Nice Springfield & Astra!

Anyone else want to show off? There has to be more 45's amongst us then this, or are you all a bunch of 9 milly fans?

~JM~

Kimber classic custom.
A good shooter and very reliable.

Bumperfillers072.jpg

Mike Barnard

Very nice!

I have yet to shoot a Wilson, Baer, Brown, high end 45. Any break in bobbles?

~JM~

Gary i'm so jealous of you when looking at that supergrade. I called wilson the other day for a update on my professional and they said at least another 4 MONTHS!!! Ordered last august :(

Very nice! I have yet to shoot a Wilson, Baer, Brown, high end 45. Any break in bobbles? ~JM~

The Super Grade series of Wilson Combat's handgun line are bedded and / or lapped in by hand on the slide to frame fit and consequently need oil instead of lube on break-in, and maybe permanently. Most upper end limited production handgun manufacturers recommend firing the gun for several hundred rounds prior to breaking the gun down for clean & oil / lube. My Les Baer Premier II has had enough rounds through it that I can lubricate it with a coating of CLP and then a light coating of Outer's Gun-slick. My Springfield Armory Trophy Match's teardown, clean, oil, & lube process is the same for it. Likewise, my Jim Hoag longslide is the same process, but the WC Classic SG just does not have the extra clearance required for even the light Outer's Gun-slick lube viscosity. I thought that the Ed Brown Executive Target might have enough clearance but it also didn't adopt well to even the Outer's Gun-slick lub viscosity. I also re-load with Alliant Bulls-Eye powder, which seems to be somewhat dirty compared to other re-load powders. So I might have to look into changing that also. Time will tell down the road whether I will eventually be able to use a light lube or not. The Ed Brown Executive Target shot a tad over 300 rounds before becoming dirty to the point that it would not fully function until it was cleaned & oiled.
The Wilson SG was very similar to these #'s before requiring a tear down, clean, & oil.
FWIW, the Bears start at about $2.3K, Ed Brown starts at about $2.5K or so & Wilson Combat at about $3K or a tad over, their SG line now starts at about $5.1K, Republik of Kali costs.

Gary i'm so jealous of you when looking at that supergrade. I called wilson the other day for a update on my professional and they said at least another 4 MONTHS!!! Ordered last august :(
Hang in there. It's a good thing that you have already ordered the gun & them started work on it as they are now up to a 12-18 month wait on all custom guns. Might want to check with your gun dealer as I believe that Wilson Combat just took a sizeable cost increase on at least the Super Grade series, but I don't know about the others. The SG's just took a $500 jump about 3-4 months ago.
If I came across a new Super Grade Tactical already in a store for sale I would cough up the $$ in a heartbeat. Wilson only has a few of their handguns available in the Republik of Kali and Ed Brown only has 3 that they will /can ship out here to dealers. Les Baer has about 10 available to ship out here.