Let's debate rarity.

Welby

This is a post from Slowcar in the cars for sale section. I didn't want to continue the topic there, so I figured I'd drag it into the lounge out of boredom.

His quote:

"there are less then 100 left (referring to Limiteds)......there are more then likely less then 1000 GN's left as well......I say close to 500 or so left"

Now call me crazy, but I think he's WAY off base here and don't know the logic he's using in coming up with these numbers. Let's see; 500-1000 GN's left period, that's only 10 to 20 GN's left in existence per state. Why is it then that at any given time a local car show I might see 3 GN's as well as 2-3 T's, just at one single show in western PA. We must have one Hell of a lock on turbo Buicks around here...

To get to some sort of actual question here, other than just me rambling, how many GN's, T's and Limiteds do the rest of you guys think might still be out there. I'd be really curious to know, but I'm sure it's a lot more than Slowcar thinks. I'm inclined to think there are still quite a few, seeing that the people that bought them in the first place knew they were kind of special and the subsequent owners of the cars would too. Now I know a fair amount have had to have fallen to rot, neglect, theft, etc. etc., but I still think there are many of them floating around out there.

100 Limiteds left in existence? Please :rolleyes: . If so, please check out my for sale ad, only asking $38,000 for it ;)

My guess would be well over half of all turbo buicks produced are still around. Maybe even 3/4 of them are still in existence. People knew these cars were special when they were produced.

This is a post from Slowcar in the cars for sale section. I didn't want to continue the topic there, so I figured I'd drag it into the lounge out of boredom.

His quote:

Now call me crazy, but I think he's WAY off base here and don't know the logic he's using in coming up with these numbers. Let's see; 500-1000 GN's left period, that's only 10 to 20 GN's left in existence per state. Why is it then that at any given time a local car show I might see 3 GN's as well as 2-3 T's, just at one single show in western PA. We must have one Hell of a lock on turbo Buicks around here...

To get to some sort of actual question here, other than just me rambling, how many GN's, T's and Limiteds do the rest of you guys think might still be out there. I'd be really curious to know, but I'm sure it's a lot more than Slowcar thinks. I'm inclined to think there are still quite a few, seeing that the people that bought them in the first place knew they were kind of special and the subsequent owners of the cars would too. Now I know a fair amount have had to have fallen to rot, neglect, theft, etc. etc., but I still think there are many of them floating around out there.

100 Limiteds left in existence? Please :rolleyes: . If so, please check out my for sale ad, only asking $38,000 for it ;)

dude, it's a scientifically proven fact that there are less than 100 limiteds left on earth.

Welby, between the number of GNs & Ts in the PA area that you have seen and the several of each I have personally seen in the Kansas City, MO area, we have collectively found a large percentage of Slowcar's stated remaining number of each. :D

On a more serious note, I don't really know how many are left. But out of the 5,000+ T's and 25,000+ GNs built in 86 & 87 alone, I would imagine there are a LOT more left than what he is stating.

Based on his 100/500 theory, that would make the GNXs the most plentiful of Turbo Regals out there. Call me goofy, but I just don't think that's the case. But just in case I am wrong, I will be further investigating a white Y a buddy of mine found recently. I might just have to joing the "1 of 100 Club" to match my "1 of 500" membership. :cool:

It's kind of like in for sale adds when people have an 87T with black trim and they say 1 of 1547 made. They see a WE4 with that figure and assume theirs is the same.

Or when they say only XXX amount of these made in this color when there is no documentation of how many of what color was made.

Then we were over budget here in NM. Just in Las Cruces as of last year there were 6 GN's here. Plus all the guys in Albq. :D

... Now call me crazy, but I think he's WAY off base here and don't know the logic he's using in coming up with these numbers. Let's see; 500-1000 GN's left period, that's only 10 to 20 GN's left in existence per state.

i don't know about the 86/87 cars, but there is an online registry of the 84/85 Hot Airs and there are a lot of cars on that list..

Add one 1984 "Moonroof" GN to Las Cruces

I'm moving there... soon.

Will be working at White Sands Missile Test Range.

Maybe one of you guys will be able to figure out the issues on my GN. :D

I believe mine is one of the rarest... ;)

I have a hard time buying the 100 Limiteds left theory. There are atleast 10 within 45mins of me, all people I know. I would imagine there are afew more close to me I don't know. It would be nice if it were true.

Boostnitup, just look up me, fuzzyGN or Dr Frankenstien when you get here. There are a couple more guys here that moved here from San Diego (from what I heard) and a couple more that are going to NMSU from other parts of the state. I used to have 5 hotairs and I am probably the only one in southern NM that has built any of them. :)

If the number of turbo regals was so rare (500 GNs, 100 turbo Limiteds), all the vendors on this forum would be out of business by now. Must be much more than that,I'm sure Kirban still has more than 600 customers.

" I think he's WAY off base here and don't know the logic he's using in coming up with these numbers. Now I know a fair amount have had to have fallen to rot, neglect, theft, etc. etc., but I still think there are many of them floating around out there.

I agree with you 100%...There's no way you can come up with an absolute, fool-proof method to know how many of them are still around...:rolleyes: I also think there should be more than "100 left (referring to Limiteds)....and definitely more than 500 GN's or so left" ! :eek:

sugarandopium said:
dude, it's a scientifically proven fact that there are less than 100 limiteds left on earth.
C'mon..."scientists" have more important things to do than to proving how many "Limiteds" are left on the earth...:tongue:...and if (just "if") this was true, WHO CARES! :rolleyes:

Claude. :cool:

Awesome!

"Boostnitup, just look up me, fuzzyGN or Dr Frankenstien when you get here. There are a couple more guys here that moved here from San Diego (from what I heard) and a couple more that are going to NMSU from other parts of the state. I used to have 5 hotairs and I am probably the only one in southern NM that has built any of them. "

It will be a change for me... to be around other turbo Buick owners. We are a rare breed here in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I am usually the only one at the Pueblo track.

As for the guys from San Diego that is almost "Home" to me... I grew up in El Centro, California.

You guys have a race track down there?

I'll be busy for the 1st four months of arrival, and I'm leaving the GN here in Colorado until after I get well planted into the job situation, and then I'll tow it on down. (There is a 432 cubic inch stroked 351W in a '92 Mustang LX coming down with me as well... yeah I know just call me a "Traitor")

How long were you in the Springs, Boostnitup? Wonder if you were there in 2001..maybe you raced my dad when he was stationed there with his tan T! I'm not sure how often he went, if ever, to the track in the Springs though.

Up until 6 months ago I had no idea there was a GN sitting in an old guy's used tire business about a mile from me. Never knew it was there. Car is just sitting covered with stuff all around it.

Think of how many GN's out there are like this one.

We have a track out between Las Cruces and Deming. Almost half way. It is decent. There is also one south of El Paso but I have never been there. Probably an hour south of EP and that is 48 miles south of LC. Supposedly both of the San Diego cars are owned by retired police officers. I have seen one at a friend's shop but never met the owner. Not a traitor... I used to own a 76 Mustang II WAY back when. :)

It will be a change for me... to be around other turbo Buick owners. We are a rare breed here in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I am usually the only one at the Pueblo track.

As for the guys from San Diego that is almost "Home" to me... I grew up in El Centro, California.

You guys have a race track down there?

I'll be busy for the 1st four months of arrival, and I'm leaving the GN here in Colorado until after I get well planted into the job situation, and then I'll tow it on down. (There is a 432 cubic inch stroked 351W in a '92 Mustang LX coming down with me as well... yeah I know just call me a "Traitor")