Launching with transbrake

MSDGN

I just put a transbrake in my car...so it's totally new to me...with the transbrake do you stage...wait for the lights then floor the gas and go when boost is right or do you just go about half throttle till boost is where you want it then simultaneously mash the gas and push the shifter forward?...

All depends on how much power you want to leave with. With the transbrake engaged you can wait until you hit 20+psi before letting go...but you damn well better have a stiffened chassis (roll bar), slicks and a suspension designed to take the load :eek:

Wheels up is definately the way to go IMO :cool:

Timing and coordinating the throttle, shifter (you apparently have the Stage Right brake), and Xmas tree is what racing is all about. ;) Good luck and have fun!

I only plan on launching with about 10 PSI to start...but my question is do most floor the gas to build desired boost whatever it may be or go part throttle to build the boost...when I launched with foot brake I only used to go part throttle then floor the gas and let off the brake when desired boost was attained...

Scott

You need to figure out how fast your turbo spools.....try lighting both stage lites, set your brake and wait for the fellow you are racing to lite his second staging lite, mash the gas, and go on the 3rd yellow....if you are building too much boost doing that, you'll have to learn to time the "pedal mashing"

if you are not building enough boost doing that, bump into the staging lites with some rpm and hold it with the footbrake until you engage the tbrake....the higher the rpm you start at, the more boost you will build between staging and 3rd yellow

ideally, you set up your converter so the first scenario (stage, then mash it) works....that way you can be consistent on the tree and leave with the same amount of boost everytime

my car flashes to 4000 rpm when I do that and leaves at a lot of boost (prolly 15+) but I pay no attention to the boost gauge until after I launch.....trying to hold boost with the gas pedal is futile (at least for me)

you'll figure it out with some practice

I am putting trans brake in my GN so I hope to try it out this weekend. I have put a electric seloind on first gear on shifter under console and hooked it to a button so I can leave with a button instead of slamming shifter foward! Will have to learn about when to go full throttle.

Well

Install an MSD DIS 4 with the two set. Set teh dip switches to 4000rpm. Connect it so it enganges with the two. Stage, Hit the two step and wood it. It will hold at 4000 and build boost (all dependent upon your set up could be 10 psi could be 30 psi), let it go... Enable very consistent launches.

hmmmmm...I cannot do that with my MSD.....the most rpm I can hold is 3000 (10 lbs boost)

if I set it at 4000, the turbo surges and the car backfires and looses boost...not a good thing

if anyone is having luck holding more than 3000, I would like to know your combo/turbo

anyone use something to vent boost to control throttle so as to leave on the floor?? If that is possible!

Originally posted by GNsQuick
anyone use something to vent boost to control throttle so as to leave on the floor?? If that is possible!
That would be a wastegate (Deltagate, Racegate, etc.). It too has to be tuned like the rest of the drivetrain.

Originally posted by Scott231
That would be a wastegate (Deltagate, Racegate, etc.). It too has to be tuned like the rest of the drivetrain.

I'm talking about controling boost (maybe with electric seloiniod)but letting some boost vent off while the throttle is in WOT on tranny brake! Then maybe putting a adjustable air bleed on exhaust of vented boost. I guess this make cents:confused:

launching

Innovative boost controller
Has a launch control seting punch in the boost you want ,it can be actived by steping on the brake pedal or when you set your trans brake.
You can also ramp in your boost which i find helpfull.

Re: launching

Originally posted by ZNX
Innovative boost controller
Has a launch control seting punch in the boost you want ,it can be actived by steping on the brake pedal or when you set your trans brake.
You can also ramp in your boost which i find helpfull.

so it can be used on WOT???? Who sells this thing, about what do they cost??

I leave with my foot on the floor...you don't need any fancy controller to do that....just a properly matched converter and turbo

I floor it when both stage lites are lit and leave on the 3rd yellow at 4000 rpm (15+ psi depending on conditions)

Originally posted by azgn
I leave with my foot on the floor...you don't need any fancy controller to do that....just a properly matched converter and turbo

I floor it when both stage lites are lit and leave on the 3rd yellow at 4000 rpm (15+ psi depending on conditions)

My car will not do that with a 3500 converter!

How can i wire up a button to activate the tbrake? the 15+year old shifter doesnt like being slammed anymore...lol
im using the stageright brake..

gnsquick------the secret is a very lean spool-up curve...dunno whose chip you are using, but the MaxEffort does this quite well

many chips out there are so rich on the bottom end, it's a wonder the turbo will spool at all!

to use the Stagerite with a button, you'll need a solenoid and associated hardware to move the shifter....strictly a mechanical operation......if you want aa electric brake, check Bruces' Bat Brake

Originally posted by azgn
gnsquick------the secret is a very lean spool-up curve...dunno whose chip you are using, but the MaxEffort does this quite well

many chips out there are so rich on the bottom end, it's a wonder the turbo will spool at all!

to use the Stagerite with a button, you'll need a solenoid and associated hardware to move the shifter....strictly a mechanical operation......if you want aa electric brake, check Bruces' Bat Brake

I have a Modern Muscle chip that I had leaned out on the bottom so boost will get away from u Quick, so this makes it hard to go to floor unlesss u want to leave at more than 20lbs of boost!

I imagine so with a TE-44....once again, if your converter was matched to your turbo, you could do it just fine (you have way too much stall for a TE-44......)