Late Model Ignition Swap

LAMMONS0003

Went to pull a part yard today. There we no 86-88 ignition modules and coils. After looking at some of the other 88 and up modules they appear simular. Has anyone tried to use these? I know since I have an 84 i would need a Caspers adapter or rewire it myself.

no not yet

I have a 87 TR so it should be plug and play (casper harness not neede) and since I have been thru 2 ign modules in less than 1000 miles I have to have a alternative so I went to gn t type.org and looked up type II ignition and found the parts they say will work and will be trying it out in a couple of days will update as soon as I get the outcome

I believe they are calling stye 1 the oem 86/87 module with a one piece coil. I think the style 2 is off later model cars and has three individual coils. I am not sure what cars teh style 2 is on I would assume about any with the 3.8 or 3800 olds/buick/ponitiac. I would love to have a list of cars the style 2 are on.

type II works fine

Did swap of type I to type II and for me it fixed my issue for now car runs well before swap I had a bad "break up" at high rpm and with no spare type I setup and not wanting to chance spending money about $300-350 and not fix it i went to junkyard (parts from 90 century)for a try to see what will happen and bam for $37.10 I got ign module and 3 coils with it all was plug and play on my 87 TR, now for info needed;go to Turbo Regal Web Site ,then resources ,then technical articiles, then ecm and sensors ,then type II ign swap and there will be a list of compatable vehichles, coils, ign modules also there is a whole lotta everything info that can help also.

Guys I got two modules today from junkyard one Type 1 and one Type 2. Ordered a caspers hot wire kit for 84/85 to 87 module. We will see what happens after I get all together.