Laser grips/Undermount Lights

Dreamn4GN

Looking at either a laser grip or a attachable undermount flashlight, or both. Are the Crimson trace lasers worth the 200 plus dollars? What 0ther options as in lasers/laser grips?
As far as attachable flashlight, Do they have a combo light/laser all in one?Ive heard a great debate on whether to have it attached to the gun or have a hand held flashlight. Mainely because with the attached light, your pointing a loaded firearm at a person who may not be an enemy. And with the handheld debate is being able to confirm your target without pointing a loaded gun at someone. IMO I think youd be regretting not having that light attached to your gun when you confirm your target. As always leave your comments/opinions and recommendations on both attachable lasers/flashlights
TIA
Phil

I do not think its a good idea. Here is my point with all my firearms training one instructor said " if I can see your light thats where I am shooting" It makes sense, that why we train with a arm out with the light away from us

I have used about all of them... My main carry gun M&P 40 with crimsion trace red laser grips... I LOVE IT.... My beside the bed gun is a Glock 23 with a glock laser light combo...

My favorite setup is the Viridian Laser with or with out the flashlight. I have one on a M&P 45, one on a F&N 5.7x28 as well... One for close range and one for reaching on out there... They work on AR15's too:D

I have some other glocks with glock light laser combos and love those as well... I have one glock with the light in the guide rod spot... That is real slick but to be honest I wouldn't bet my life on that one....

Best option IMO is the viridian green laser, and if you are worried about the other person seeing you put it on strobe and you will be in control....

Crimson trace are good lasers. Had a few on different weapons and never had a problem with them. I have a laserlyte on a revolver right now and it's a good laser too. I like how crimson trace places their activation pressure pad. Put a good shooting grip on the weapon and the laser will come on (if you configure it to do so). I went with the laserlyte on the revolver because the laser was closer to the bore axis than a similar crimson trace.

Couple of companies that make lights and laser/light combos off the top of my head are surefire, streamlight, and viridian. Surefire can be pricey but a lot of people use them. I have a couple Streamlight TLR-1S that I swap from weapon to weapon. I find streamlight makes a quality product for less money. I've had them on pistols, shotguns, and rifles. I have used them for social work and they have never failed me. I like the "s" version because it can be set to strobe which can be very disorienting for the bad guy.

As far as lights attached to weapons, there are pros and cons with people in both camps. I personally like them, but I was fortunately able to attend a low light shooting course. Much learning occurred. In the instances I used them in real life, it was either preceded by a flash bang or it was already quite clear what our avenues of approach were. Regardless, we would only turn them on momentarily to gain situational awareness and then back off (unless using NVDs). Techniques like that will reduce the possibility of the bad guy getting a true fix on you.

I think they are a combat multiplier as long as you understand their limitations and downfalls. Another thing to consider is just pairing your weapon with a good handheld flashlight. There are many ways to deploy a handgun and flashlight combo, some of which address the issue of giving away your location.

Whatever you choose, train with it in multiple scenarios that you think you may encounter. Build that muscle memory and confidence in your abilities/systems.

What weapon are you planning to use it with? Just curious.

Never shot with a laser, so I can't speak to doing so. However, I do have a TLR-1 that stays on a glock, which is the nightstand gun for my girl. It's bright as all get out, easily turns on with your strong hand while gripping the pistol normally, and can easily be transferred to another piece should I choose. Personally, i love the concept of having a light on your gun, to the point that i'll never have a 'nightstand gun' without one. the light is ALWAYS on target, it's as steady as the gun is, and for a 'bump-in-the-night' scenario, its one less thing to worry about.

as far as the opposition saying 'you have to point your weapon at a potentially innocent person to shine the light on them'.. i don't disagree with that, but that is what gun safety rule #3 is for: keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire. Both of us practice very good gun safety, if i came home at 3am one night unannounced and saw that bright light in my face, i wouldn't be worried for a second that she was going to shoot me. her finger would have never touched the trigger.

Thanks fella's. Boostfreak- Either a Glock 19/23 or M&P 9mm Ill be sure to check out the Viridian.
I planned on getting a CTC laser grip for the Glock's siince there the compact version, And rather put an undermount on the M&P.

Personally I'm not a fan of mounted lights for the reasons nonova mentions above. But I've shot with the Crimson trace grips with laser and they are very nice.

What about holsters that accomadate your weapon mounted lights, etc.

I use a Sure-Fire light & have been impressed with all of their products. They are battery eating machines though.

~JM~

I do not think its a good idea. Here is my point with all my firearms training one instructor said " if I can see your light thats where I am shooting" It makes sense, that why we train with a arm out with the light away from us
Personally I'm not a fan of mounted lights for the reasons nonova mentions above. But I've shot with the Crimson trace grips with laser and they are very nice.

I thought the same thing until I saw the light in person. You take a direct shot to the eyes in a bright room for a second and you're seeing stars. In a dark room, if that light hits you, your not seeing chit for a few minutes.

I have a Streamlight TLR-1s on my M&P 40 next to my bed and love it.
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=178

I thought the same thing until I saw the light in person. You take a direct shot to the eyes in a bright room for a second and you're seeing stars. In a dark room, if that light hits you, your not seeing chit for a few minutes.

I have a Streamlight TLR-1s on my M&P 40 next to my bed and love it.
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=178

Exactly! If that light or laser hits your eyes you are done for the immediate future....

Exactly! If that light or laser hits your eyes you are done for the immediate future....

Not trying to argue here, but that assumes the light is immediately turned on and in the "intruder's" face. That is neither likely or practical. My only point is that while the light is on the pistol and you are trying to find the target, you are essentially making your self the target. It only takes a split second, I know. To each there own.

Well, the Crimson Trace Laser Grip is a phenomenal accessory for your pistol....it enables you to quickly aquire your target and fire.....a lot faster than trying to point with the end sight as you are then dealing with "sight distance." Since I've put on a Crimson Trace on my .44 magnum, my shooting has greatly improved.....with this sighted in, I know exactly where the bullet will end up every time.....it's a great deterrent when the perp sees the red dot on his chest, (center body mass) as he know, as well as I know, that is a painful, if not fatal entry point. As far as the light, I personally think it's a bad idea as it makes YOU a target to a perp and he can see where to shoot the minute you turn on that light.....it's better to use a light in your non shooting hand held up and away from your body as you aquire your target.....this way the perp may first fire at the light, not you while you target him quickly with the red dot......

Of course, I'm no Shane Grimsley, an expert on fire arms, but know enough to have a little common sense....though all of this could go out the window in a highly stressful gun battle...so lots and lots of training is required with a handgun in order to keep your wits about you in case of a dire emergency such as a gun battle with some psycho.....it's something I hope to never be involved in.....but keeping a cool head in this situation requires hours and hours of training with your particular gun, especially when you add accessories like a laser sight......stay in shape, practice religiously and learn to walk away from any negative situation ahead of time instead of drawing your weapon...

Hmmmmm.....I seem to be getting off topic here....sorry, fellas.

Oh, I forgot to add....Crimson Trace Laser Grips ARE very expensive, but in my opinion very much worth it....I intend to never get rid of it or my gun..

I'm sure Galco Leathers makes holsters for guns with lights....check with them, or Shane, I know he can recommend something to fit your needs. He's very, very knowledgeable in these things and more than glad to help. In other words, a helpful, nice guy........Hey! Do I get a discount for saying these nice words about you, Shane?:p

Bruce '87 Grand National

I forgot to add that eating beans and Spagettii Os for a few months in order to get the Crimson Trace wasn't too bad for me......having gas sure saves on feeding unwanted company!:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

I am more of an expert on TR's than guns, which ain't much of one LOL!

I have never been in a live fire "situation" so I am sure we have much more experience floating out there than me LOL!!!

Think about it like this, if someone is shooting at you and you are ducking/ hiding etc; You can feel confident in the fact that "Wherever the little dot goes,,,,,,, BOOM." I have done some shooting while moving and such, it was much easier to look at the target and dot than the 3 sights and the target....

Again, different opinions are what seperate us from the robots:p

STREAMLIGHT HERE .. quick to move from weapon to weapon .. and very cost effective .. and as far as someone seeing it .. it would be the last thing they ever saw !

I chose the Veridian light/laser combo for my Berretta PX4 storm Sub compact..... I look at it like this, The house is pitch dark at night and with the combo I have the opportunity to use either one or both depending on the situation!!

I believe in big dogs, We have a Brazilian mastiff and a boxer that sleep in the house and anyone trying to enter our home has got to go around them first! No "Beware of Dog" signs on my house.....The element of surprise is one of the best useful tools you can have! ;)

I chose the Veridian light/laser combo for my Berretta PX4 storm Sub compact..... I look at it like this, The house is pitch dark at night and with the combo I have the opportunity to use either one or both depending on the situation!!

I believe in big dogs, We have a Brazilian mastiff and a boxer that sleep in the house and anyone trying to enter our home has got to go around them first! No "Beware of Dog" signs on my house.....The element of surprise is one of the best useful tools you can have! ;)

Yea I got a 100lb Blue pitbull that calls his home on the couch. And My house actually isnt completely dark. My moms has little lights all around.
If my buddy hears anything hes alarmed hes a frigging machine I love em.
At the range I went to I grabbed a free dvd from CTC and Shane they pointed out that being able to acuire your target without putting your full body around a corner and not having to look at the gun sites. Like you said as long as you can see the dot you can hit the target without subjecting yourself to danger. These undermount lights arnt cheap either are the crimson grips. looking atleast 200 bucks.Might have to wait a few weeks to pick one of them up .

I recently bought CTC grips for my carry gun (S&W 642 .38 J frame). I had a lot of trouble seeing the sights in low light conditions (bifocal lenses don't help) and my accuracy suffered. I installed the CTC's and sighted it it in using the iron sights. I now shoot nice tight groups with the gun at 31'. The gun fits in the same holster (Desantis) and I feel much more confident that I can be on target in low light situations (if that should ever happen). The CTC's cost me around $180 which is expensive, but worth the money in my opinion.

The laser is useless in broad daylight, that's where skill and practice with the iron sights comes in. The laser can't replace skill, but it can help you compensate for poor vision in low light conditions. Good luck with your choices.....I hope you never NEED to use them!

Dave

The laser is useless in broad daylight,

Dave
Not a Green laser! The red laser is useless but the green laser by Veridian is visible even in broad daylight and the green laser is much better than the red laser for our eye's to pick up on due to where the green is on the color spectrum. Watch some of the video's on Veridians web site sometime and they explain Why the green laser is much better.. I never use the laser in broad daylight anyway, I just don't see the point!