Knock/alky

CanGN

Just installed alkycontrol kit, with turbotweak alky chip, from a roll on a steady acceleration not mashing the throttle, goes up to 20# boost with no knock, however, if i nail it from a stop im getting anywhere from 2-4 deg knock on scanmaster on the 1-2 shift, the shift is very hard, checked dp and exhaust and dont think it is banging on anything, what else could this be, would just the hard shift cause this...thanks

steve

Engine strap,crank pulley,converter hardware,Are you it isnt alky turn on related?Any knock before install.Wiring not touching knock sensor?

As suicide six suggested, make sure you have a safe turn-on point for the alky. When you slowly get into the throttle, it doesn't knock because the alky has enough time to start spraying. But when you hammer the throttle, if you have the alky set to start spraying too late, boost will build up faster than alky, and you'll get knock before the alky has a chance to prevent it. See what happens if you set it to start spraying at a lower boost.

i have the alky just at the default settings, havent really changed anything, no knock before the alky running to 15#..thanks

Knock

I had that problem too, only got up to 17 deg. KR. Ended up being my alky settings. Mine was set up to come on @ 12psi and ramp up to full spray @ 20.
OK last fall and winter, but not in the heat. Set it for 8# and full @ 12#. Now less than 1*KR at any time. Good luck...

If you get knock on the shift.. the alky settings wont change anything.

My old TTA would show 40 degree's retard sometimes on the 1-2 shift.. so ignore was added to the chip until 44 MPH. The more power you make, things like transmissions dont always respond favorably.. and the racing band(2nd), higher line pressures, etc contribute to increased knock.

If you put the car in second gear.. 3000 rpms from a roll.. and stand on it.. it doesnt knock.. the alky is doing its job.

If you see knock come up and disappear.. not on a shift.. then lowering turnon point may help. But dont pad a fuel issue with alky, in other words if you go lean becuase your chip/maf arent curved correctly.. it will also knock.. and using alky will make the motor lazy.

Placing a Buick in low gear on a non-prepped street.. and slamming the pedal down will create wheel spin.. this wheel spin will show up on your scanmaster as knock.. then create a spiral in tuning trying to get rid of knock that cannot be gotten rid of in some cars.

If you place the car in third gear, bring the rpms up.. and slam the pedal down whereby it doesnt down shift.. "and" it doesnt knock.. leave the alky alone.

HTH

PS.. turnon on my kit is 5 PSI.. make sure its coming on at 5 PSI.