KIRBAN REQUEST

Dennis Kirban

Not sure if this is the right section to post this or not. We are exploring the hydra boost systems as another option for stopping your 1986-1987 Turbo Regal. These work off the power steering by Teeing into the line. Similar set up as to the 1984 Turbo Regals. Compact and from what I have read more efficient. Again my skills do not lie with mechanics to these cars.

So, my question is two fold:

If you are running one of these systems in your 1986-1987 Turbo Regal like to hear your thoughts.

Also see some photos and input as to ease of install. I have seen similar systems in later GM vehicles in the junk yard. I do know its critical to keep the fluid clean and some set ups may come with a fliter?

I have not seen one personally in a Turbo Regal so that is another reason I need to see some. I believe several companies offer them and we are exploring those ideas.

Brake technology has come a long way since our cars were built.

We appreciate your imput and apologize if I posted this in the wrong section.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Last edited:
http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=4228.0

People who chose vacuum don't know what they are missing.
I love it. I had an 84 that i traded in on my current 87. I have hydroboost on my 99 Suburban and 03 K2500hd. I will admit, we have had the tensioner cut loose on the burb. That idea that there is a reserve is very short lived. You are in non power steering and non power brake land in a hurry. Keep your belt and tensioner n good condition. While we are on that, how 'bout a tensioner repop for the Turbo Buick?

I would never go back to powermaster. Stops better than it ever did, even when new and I am an original owner. I will probably convert my GS to hydro boost one of these days. I bought a used unit from C. Leeper. Just a matter of time and money.

I think it is an excellent mod!

very cool dennis p/u a used unit from brian @ g body years ago. needs some new parts when working fine will rip the backing plates off the axle ask me how I know. you will be able to build boost at the line like you never did before and big thanks to turbonut85 helping lots of us with the upgrade.

My 85 hotair came factory like that. Need any pics I'll post them or send them to your email.

Dennis,

I finished the swap on mine this past week. I should really say a friend of mine just got done and he did a great job. It took a little while to do, but so far I do like the results. I will send you an email with a picture of the finished area. I will also let you know of the areas we experienced problems. I did not buy a complete kit, so I had to acquire a few parts, i.e. tee, fittings, hoses and a few other minor things. We did run into a problem with mounting of a different power steering reservoir but by going back to the original we solved the problem. I'll try to have my friend call you with the details of the install, he knows a lot more about it than I do.

Here is a picture. The area is not cleaned up yet, but you get the idea. You do have to watch the length from the firewall to the power steering reservoir.

Attachments

• Hydroboost Installed.jpg
    Hydroboost Installed.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 493
Here is a picture. The area is not cleaned up yet, but you get the idea. You do have to watch the length from the firewall to the power steering reservoir.
I hope you sprayed that mc down with some coating or it will be rusting in short order. One of the reasons I went with the Cadillac MC.

For those who never had it, hydroboost is like having your brakes on steroids
And that's with factory brakes if you adds bigger rotor and or calipers, the gains are bigger .
I've had them all and I would never go back to regular brakes or vacuum after hydroboost
For the non Sayers
If hydroboost was ever a issue oem would never have designed it

TexasT - That one I believe is a Corvette MC - It's aluminum also so we didn't coat it.

I love my hydroboost - car stays put on the line foot braking with over 10 lb boost. Here is a picture of my 87 using all 84 T parts.

Thanks - Mike

SSC_0069.JPG

Dennis, see the link below for good info. I did the conversion and will never look back. My Autozone powermaster unit went bad after 10 years. Of course my car was only running about 4 of those years. They gave me a $280 refund for the unit and core since it had a lifetime warranty. It cost me exactly that to order everything I needed from Rockauto. I already had 2nd gen S10 front spindles with 11" rotors and dual piston calipers and S10 rear wheel cylinders. Even with that I could not make a good high speed stop with the powermaster. With the Hydroboost, I can stop from 120mph on the drag strip with plenty of time to make the first turnoff without trying too hard. Brake pedal feedback is much better too.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/powermaster-to-hydroboost-conversion.307690/

Mine mounted w/ a Wilwood mc.
This is a hot rod, so there was no intention of making it "like the factory did it".
Note: The unit is mtd inverted, to get the accumulator away from the engine.
There is a filter that is yet to be installed in the return line.
My first HB is on my 55 Chevy. Also inverted.
After having REALLY poor brake performance on the 55, I did some testing.
750-800psi was all I could get to the calipers w/ an 8" dual booster, 1 1/16" mc, 16-17" vac.
Same brakes w/ HB: 2100psi. At that psi, I had to upgrade to a premium pad. The softies we had, trying to make the vac stop, didn't hold up well to 2100psi.:eek:

I think the T Type will get some bigger discs, as the pads really take a beating w/ the puny [<11"], rotors requiring too much pedal pressure.

I get all my HB units from Elliott Sydnam, in Dallas, TX. He makes custom mounts for each application. [The 3rd app is on a 62 Stude w/ a LS3.]:smuggrin:
Dennis, if you want to discuss, call me at:
706-342-3152, or on the cell @ 770-265-5144

Attachments

• HB on Buick 001.jpg
    HB on Buick 001.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 361
  • Hrdraboost install 014.jpg
    Hrdraboost install 014.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 297
  • Hrdraboost install 019.jpg
    Hrdraboost install 019.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Hrdraboost install 016.jpg
    Hrdraboost install 016.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 248
There is a couple threads on using. The Astrovan hydrooboost from the 90s on Turbo buicks. The drawback is no one has yet made the adapter plate in order, to mount it to the firewall. A couple one off/ custom plates have been produced, but if someone would produce them for resale the astrovan hydroboost swap would really Catch on

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Mine mounted w/ a Wilwood mc.
This is a hot rod, so there was no intention of making it "like the factory did it".
Note: The unit is mtd inverted, to get the accumulator away from the engine.
There is a filter that is yet to be installed in the return line.
My first HB is on my 55 Chevy. Also inverted.
After having REALLY poor brake performance on the 55, I did some testing.
750-800psi was all I could get to the calipers w/ an 8" dual booster, 1 1/16" mc, 16-17" vac.
Same brakes w/ HB: 2100psi. At that psi, I had to upgrade to a premium pad. The softies we had, trying to make the vac stop, didn't hold up well to 2100psi.:eek:

I think the T Type will get some bigger discs, as the pads really take a beating w/ the puny [<11"], rotors requiring too much pedal pressure.

I get all my HB units from Elliott Sydnam, in Dallas, TX. He makes custom mounts for each application. [The 3rd app is on a 62 Stude w/ a LS3.]:smuggrin:
Dennis, if you want to discuss, call me at:
706-342-3152, or on the cell @ 770-265-5144

Chuck, that install is surgical. I'm currently kicking myself for not doing that.

Thanks!
Elliott can build most any mount. He did mine, as he said that in order to use the OEM PM mount, it had to be modified.
We sent the pedal assy to him, along w/ the firewall angle, for the 62 Stude. He made the mount to fit.

I currently have the vacuum brake pedal would it require modification too you think?

I currently have the vacuum brake pedal would it require modification too you think?
If you are going to use it with powermaster or hydroboost, it will need modded or swapped.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Dennis, see the link below for good info. I did the conversion and will never look back. My Autozone powermaster unit went bad after 10 years. Of course my car was only running about 4 of those years. They gave me a $280 refund for the unit and core since it had a lifetime warranty. It cost me exactly that to order everything I needed from Rockauto. I already had 2nd gen S10 front spindles with 11" rotors and dual piston calipers and S10 rear wheel cylinders. Even with that I could not make a good high speed stop with the powermaster. With the Hydroboost, I can stop from 120mph on the drag strip with plenty of time to make the first turnoff without trying too hard. Brake pedal feedback is much better too.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/powermaster-to-hydroboost-conversion.307690/
\

This is the thread I used to convert my 84 with an 87 drivetrain. It's very nice and looks completely factory.

Hydratech makes a different unit for vacuum (Monte, Cutlass) and Powermaster (GN). The angle of the master cylinder is different.