Kenne Bell Cams - Spring ?

StageII86

I just bought a '87 T with a 20-year old performance rebuild but from what I can gather from the previous owner and other historical documentation, it has fairly few miles and likely no abuse. I have another complete built motor on a stand, but this motor currently in the car seems pretty solid so I figured I'll run it awhile with a milder setup, then when I go much bigger on the combo I'll go ahead and put my all forged, girdled, GN1-headed motor in.

This older motor in the car was sold to me with a "Kenne Bell Cam and ported heads" I can not find any of my old KB catalogs, and the cam sounds pretty small but I can certainly hear the valvetrain. One note with car referenced the cam as a "260" cam and I know most of the 212/212 tappet cams had 260 deg adv duration - so that is a pretty solid guess on which it is.

But does anyone have a rundown on their old offerings so I can try and figure out for sure which springs to drop in as replacements?

I'd figure 980's might be a safe bet, but it would be nice to know what they were actually putting with their stuff. Would a 981 be too much on one of these older tappet cam/lifter setups?

Thanks in advance,
John

If memory serves me correctly that cam is a 208-208 on 114LS .465 lift. I still have one in one of my old motors. 100lb springs work good. I wouldn't go any heavier than that. :)

There were several cams. I have the 1TXB in my car. Pic of spec card.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375655447.737297.jpg

And I can hear my valve train big time ! I used the comp 980 springs.

Thanks Rich! That's perfect. The note with the car called it a "260" so I'm betting this is what's in there. I haven't swapped the springs yet, but I'm going to use the 980's. Seems peppy as-is but I have not pulled it past 5k.

Odd it specs for 1.6 rockers? I'm guessing the lift at the valve with stock rockers may be more like .425 or so?

I found the cam card on the 1TXB cam I have. The cam lift on mine is .290, duration is 266

Perhaps I'll bust out my wheel and DI to degree mine...or maybe not...lol.

Thank you guys so much for the help - at least I have a good idea of what's in the motor per the notes from 3 owners ago...

I had that same cam waaaaaaaaaay back, yes it was a bit noisey, it used a small single spring with a damper. I dont remember which spring tho:mad:

Odd it specs for 1.6 rockers? I'm guessing the lift at the valve with stock rockers may be more like .425 or so?
Y'know, This got me thinking , I have the stock rockers in mine (What was stock ratio? 1.44?). I'm wondering if the cam I have in mine was ground for 1 to 6 and I have the wrong ratio rockers in there! Cam has awesome low and mid end torque but doesn't seem to pull well past 4600 RPM.

Stocks are right around 1.55 (but they are not exactly precision components). I'd think it should still have no issues past 4600 with a 114LS, even with the 4 deg advance. How old are YOUR springs?? Could it be going flat? Or has it always been that way?

Also, I remember on one of mine years ago having too much lifter preload caused me some RPM issues...only I can not remember how much was too much. I'd verify you are .030-.040" on hyd tappets.