Keep or discard intercooler shroud?

billygeg

I read somewhere a while ago on a blog that removing the intercooler shroud increases horsepower because it restricts airflow...Tonight I read that its a bad idea and that it allows hot air from the rad to go right into the intercooler...Luckily I kept mine..Before I clean it up and reinstall it what are your thoughts?

I think you answered your own question. The shroud blocks the hot air from the radiator. Unfortunately I don't have any actual data to back it up.

You must keep it. Or upgrade it.
It will not help to remove it.
I think you answered your own question. The shroud blocks the hot air from the radiator. Unfortunately I don't have any actual data to back it up.
Sometimes, I think we can go on common sense.

Looks like you are in the process of upgrades, look into the stretched versions of the intercoolers if you are looking for more performance, if not the shroud should be kept on.

If you remove the scoop,hot radiator air will heat up the intercooler. If you install the scoop it will scoop up hot air that hangs out a few inches above a black road or drag strip on a hot sunny day.

hey guys, my name is Frank I just joined this forum. I recently purchased a 87 GN with 68k in pretty good shape. Well while removing front bumper to replace fillers I notice something not right. Not sure what it is -matte like shroud that is bolted to the underside of the radiator support. The front part facing the bumper was just stuff inside the back of bumper not fixed to anything. Can anyone set me straight on what it is and how to properly install. Any feedback would be appreciated.

That sounds like the flexible rubber that directs air from the grill to the radiator and keeps it from going under the car.