KC valvebody for cammed, and ported head TR

bison

Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Installed a KC code vb in my car tonight that Chris at CK gave me for feedback. WOT 1-2 shift is at roughly 6000 rpm. 2-3 is at 5800. This is a killer set up for a 130mph TR. The vb mods are as follows and are for a dual fed direct setup:

accumulator valve spring replaced with CK's
line bias replaced with CK's
3-2 control valve locked out so it cant stroke
stock BR governor
CK seperator plate
MTV up spring removed
.500 boost valve

If you wanted to lower the shift points at WOT you could simply replace the light BR code secondary weight with a medium weight from a KZ code vb. This will knock it back a few hundred rpm at WOT. Others used the medium secondary weight but im not sure which codes. Anyone else with this info can chime in. KZ is an Olds 442. Chris reported that the KT code is a very similar calibration and had the same shift points. I may clip a coil or two off the 1-2 shift valve spring to get the 1-2 shift down to 5700-5800. I have a 212-212 cam and a decent set of ported iron heads. I also run a very efficient 9.5" PTC converter that slips in the low 4% high 3% range at 5800 rpm. If your converter is less efficient you may need to run the medium governor weight to avoid over revving. Keep in mind if the converter is more efficient then the driveshaft speed will be higher for a given engine rpm. This means that the governor pressure will be higher and it will shift earlier. With a higher converter slip % the governor pressure will be lower and it will shift at an even higher engine rpm. If in doubt use the medium secondary weight and remove weight from it as needed till you achieve the ideal shift point. You may want to clip a coil off the 1-2 shift valve spring to lower that 1-2 shift rpm a little.

Chris, thanks for the opportunity with this vb.

Brian thanks for the feedback.Its great to see we both got the same results.I am putting together the supplement I promised everyone and think this along with the other info this combo gathered will be valuable to everyone here.We all know how difficult it has been to mod a brf to do that with the other problems it brings in(Unless you have a converter that has poor hydraulic coupling) .Now we all have a combination that can be built for high rpm that works with the 3.42 and throttle body configuration unique to the GN.

What would be the shift points be on the street at light throttle???

I dont have exact speeds but they are close to the BR vb but it goes into fourth at a lower road speed than a BR.

Subscribed...
Where does the RPM come from with this setup? I thought a stock BR gov would shift at 5200 or so and that's about it.

thanks

Subscribed...
Where does the RPM come from with this setup? I thought a stock BR gov would shift at 5200 or so and that's about it.

thanks

The shift valve calibration is different. The governor/vb combo together determines the shift point. Not just the governor.

biton do you have data log for vbody?i have the 2 drums w ith bearings for you on monday.i have 7 updates for the supplement and want you to do the one on the vbody.ive got the aa data with very good results.also want you to do the gvrner info with pino.

biton do you have data log for vbody?i have the 2 drums w ith bearings for you on monday.i have 7 updates for the supplement and want you to do the one on the vbody.ive got the aa data with very good results.also want you to do the gvrner info with pino.

Ill get a couple clean data logs. Unfortunately on the 10.29 pass i didnt get any data till i was about 7 seconds into the run. Ill get some more asap. Governor info is no problem.

I hope to be installing one of these this weekend. Modified KC valve bodie from CKperf.

This is good to hear I have a whole KC trans that I want to build.It came from an 86 caddy