K&N filters SUCK??!!

1987boosted

I never have had a problem with one but i went here, only because i bought a new chainsaw mind you:), but there was a post saying how they let dirt fly into your engine?? I have never heard of anything like this and there is nothing on my blades of my turbo that contest to this...here is the link, all i can speak is my experience and what i have seen, i am no expert by any means so perhaps someone on here can help me out or educate me on why they suck so bad?? http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6876&pagenumber=2 theres the link if anyone cares to chime in...i do not care whatsoever if im wrong, just curious of the negatives??

K&N's stink for turbo applications. Go check out the turbo diesel register and see how many people have had problems with them. You dont get something for nothing when it comes to filtration. More flow equals more dirt....that was posted by BWALKER on the first page and was my MAIN reason for contiuing to post...

Thats a load of crap. You guys need to relax. It's a chainsaw equipment forum for cryin out loud. What the hell does that guy know about cars? Obviously nothing. If K&N were to be as bad as he proclaims, then they would have already went out of business long ago.

There's nothing wrong with K&N's. The one that was on my car when I bought it, after the guy had it on there forever and daily driving was FILTHY. When I pulled it off, the inside and the MAF were so clean, I could have eaten off them. I saw no dust, no debris, nothing inside the filter. The inside of the filter element looked just fine. So I soaked it in the cleaning solution twice for about a half hour period, rinsed it out with the hose, let it dry for a while, then re-oiled it with the K&N oil, and its like brand new.

I wouldnt go worrying about what some jackass who knows sh!t about what hes talking about says. I wonder how many people on this entire message board use K&N's and have ever had a problem.

I run K&N filters in my GN as well as both my motorcycles with absolutely NO problems whatsoever. This is the first negative feedback that I've ever heard about them and I've been using them exclusively for years.

Originally posted by 1987boosted
K&N's stink for turbo applications. Go check out the turbo diesel register and see how many people have had problems with them.

Their beefs have NOTHING to do with "turbo applications". They are concerned that they may not get 400,000 miles between engine rebuilds with a K&N

You dont get something for nothing when it comes to filtration. More flow equals more dirt....

That isn't 100% true statement. Oiled cotton gauze will flow more and filter better than dry paper and the shape of the airfilter and bellmouth also play a large roll in how much and how efficient a filter will flow.

I use K&Ns in EVERYTHING. Even my clark 10ton fork lift with, gasp:eek: , a 5.9 Liter Cummins TURBO diesel. So scratch that turbo diesel crap as well. Ive had them on everything ranging from a Honda fourtrax 70 (ATV) to my Dodge Turbo Diesel dually. Seriously, get a clue.

Oil, oil, oil. If you run a dry K&N, you deserve to rebuild your engine after about 3000 miles. Keep it nice and lubed and you can be sure that nothing gets by.

Stick your hand in some sand, then pour motor oil all over it and stick it in sand again. Pretty much what happens with K&N. As long as there is sticky oil for the dirt and dust to stick to, it will.

By the way, I need to go oil my filter...;)

I agree with UNGN, the Bellmouth plays a huge roll. The stock airbox on a New Generation Saab 900 and the 9-3 have a bellmouthed intake tube about the size of a paper towel roll. I replace mine with some 3 inch iner diameter PVC and bellmouthed with a heat gun and old metal lamp shade. You could really feel the diff. I did put a K&N on it to replace the stock filter. Couldnt feel the diff but I just did it so I could put a sticker on my car;)

WHAT do you use to lube the KN filter beside the KN potion..

Can other lubes be used on them?

Geeze I have one in my daily driver & GN..

Chainsaw's, ATV's (the fast ones), Dirt bikes, lawnmowers, etc....

Two strokes it's not a turbo issue. I have been racing my two stroke for years while I stay away from K&N on the quads I will use them on a car, truck and big truck no issues....

2 strokers are very, very picky little sand/dirt can kill...... four strokers aren't affected anywhere near the same.

K&N application info

I have done some research on filter requirements for our cars.
The folks at K&N have supplied me with a set of formulas that will properly size the filter to the engine.
I have sent this info to Ken Mosher for posting on GNTTYPE board.
It' very enlightening!!:eek: :eek:
I found that the cleaner element on my car was about 45% UNDERSIZED!
I was having problems w/ the engine being lazy at higher rpm levels...[Anyone wanting further explanation can e me privately]By doing the math and making comparisons from the data logs off of the FAST system, I matched the points at which the engine was running out of air, thus confirming the problem.
For example:
The 9" X 6"od cone filter I was using flows 900 cfm.. K&N engineering reported I needed to supply 1400 cfm.. This was accomplished by going to the 14" cone filter.:eek: :eek: :eek:
Am now re-plumbing the system to allow mounting the 14" unit. Will post dyno info and track results sometime after the first of the yr...;) ;)

I'm going to be getting one of Hueffman's big-mouth cold air kit eventually, so I hope I'll be alright. ;)

I want to drop my MAT temps. I just hope the filter stays clean under there, and I dont have to keep cleaning it every other week of road driving.

Nah... Just stick with the K&N stuff. I used degreaser to clean my old filter and it shrunk the rubber so the filter would barely fit in the air cleaner. This was on a carbed v8 though. Plus the red dye is cool so you know where you need to respray.

WOW they sure get touchy on chainsaw forums, quite amusing that noone seemed to post anything useful on why they are so bad, should of just shut up though, learned my lesson on that one:D