Just made my 3" down pipe

Spooling supercrazy

image.jpg
I have never done this and found it challenging and time consuming, but its done. I am not a professional welder or fabricator but have a craving for power. I found that the Turbo does spool up faster. Welded everything up with a mig welder using flux cored wire. It is all welded and is not a 2 piece design but once the up pipe is removed there is plenty of room to change out plugs and easily remove the valve cover if needed. I also cut the original cast iron elbow and used the flange with the pluck and turned the welder on full power and zapped it a little at a time and it held together good. Spent about $90 bucks on the pipe. Now my turbo has that cool whistle sound! Hope this is helpful to someone.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I think this is what the hotair cars are all about , being resourceful and making what you can't buy. Welding without gas and flux core wire isn't ideal but you made it work. Well done.

I think this is what the hotair cars are all about , being resourceful and making what you can't buy. Welding without gas and flux core wire isn't ideal but you made it work. Well done.

I agree with that's what hot air cars are all about. However I disagree with making what you can't buy because you can buy a pre made one from goody parts. .. unless you mean you can't buy because it cost to much. :)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

View attachment 221099 I have never done this and found it challenging and time consuming, but its done. I am not a professional welder or fabricator but have a craving for power. I found that the Turbo does spool up faster. Welded everything up with a mig welder using flux cored wire. It is all welded and is not a 2 piece design but once the up pipe is removed there is plenty of room to change out plugs and easily remove the valve cover if needed. I also cut the original cast iron elbow and used the flange with the pluck and turned the welder on full power and zapped it a little at a time and it held together good. Spent about $90 bucks on the pipe. Now my turbo has that cool whistle sound! Hope this is helpful to someone. View attachment 221093View attachment 221095

Great job... looks awsome. A lot better then I can do. Keep up the hard work...

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Any way you want to take it boost231 , the point being that these cars will need you to be a bit more creative if you want to go faster. Every hot air build seems to be very different wich is hard to say for the intercooler cars.

Nice work! I plan to do this eventually as well, what mig welder did you use?

View attachment 221099 I have never done this and found it challenging and time consuming, but its done. I am not a professional welder or fabricator but have a craving for power. I found that the Turbo does spool up faster. Welded everything up with a mig welder using flux cored wire. It is all welded and is not a 2 piece design but once the up pipe is removed there is plenty of room to change out plugs and easily remove the valve cover if needed. I also cut the original cast iron elbow and used the flange with the pluck and turned the welder on full power and zapped it a little at a time and it held together good. Spent about $90 bucks on the pipe. Now my turbo has that cool whistle sound! Hope this is helpful to someone. View attachment 221093View attachment 221095
Looks like youi did a fine job to me also. Keep it up. John

I can say that even though I saved some money , I can understand why buying the downpipe for a hot air gn can be expensive. There's hard work in it. The welder I used was a Hobart handler 135 with the standard wall plug and not the bigger plug in.

This is great. LEEO had to fab a lot of his parts. If you are willing to learn and fab, you will be able to make your HOT AIR fast. Not many vendors for HOT AIR downpipes. GBODY has some listed. Not sure if any are available. SPEED DADDY headers will work with mods.