J&S SafeGuard with SP/FAST?

mosk

Has anyone used a J&S SafeGuard (or their new Ultra SafeGuard) with a SpeedPro/FAST EMS? http://www.safeguard.20m.com/index.html

For those unfamiliar, the J&S SafeGuard is a very advanced closed loop knock sensor/ignition management device that's capable of "almost real time" [my phrase] individual cylinder timing corrections. Their units have been on the market for a few years and, AFAIK, they have a good reputation. Their setups are supposed to be much more discriminating/effective than the GM ESC sensor/module combos, as the SageGuard's knock detection algorithms are very good at differentiating knocking from noise.

Anyway, just curious to know if anyone on this forum has any experience with one...

TIA,

Jeff

Originally posted by mosk
Has anyone used a J&S SafeGuard (or their new Ultra SafeGuard) with a SpeedPro/FAST EMS? http://www.safeguard.20m.com/index.html

For those unfamiliar, the J&S SafeGuard is a very advanced closed loop knock sensor/ignition management device that's capable of "almost real time" [my phrase] individual cylinder timing corrections. Their units have been on the market for a few years and, AFAIK, they have a good reputation. Their setups are supposed to be much more discriminating/effective than the GM ESC sensor/module combos, as the SageGuard's knock detection algorithms are very good at differentiating knocking from noise.

Anyway, just curious to know if anyone on this forum has any experience with one...

TIA,

Jeff

Hi. I talked to John @ J&S ...he and Ken DUTTWIELDER
in 1996 found that there a missfire @ 5200-5300rpm in the single cylinder retard mode . In the retard ALL mode no missfire.
I want to run it on my 87 TR. stock ecm 009 inj + 93oct chip. my new toy. TIA ,

SVTR1

misfire cured

Frank:

The earlier unit you are referring to delayed the EST signal, which contains both dwell and timing information. Retarding individual cylinders could cause the dwell to decrease on the following cylinder. That unit was never certified.

We have a new coil pack driver that controls two, three, or four coils directly.

The system can retard only the knocking cylinders. When it retards, the spark energy is increased, since the dwell is lengthened by the retard angle.

The unit has boost retard, knock retard, and nitrous retard.

misfire cured

Frank:

The earlier unit you are referring to delayed the EST signal, which contains both dwell and timing information. Retarding individual cylinders could cause the dwell to decrease on the following cylinder. That unit was never certified.

We have a new coil pack driver that controls two, three, or four coils directly.

The system can retard only the knocking cylinders. When it retards, the spark energy is increased, since the dwell is lengthened by the retard angle.

The unit has boost retard, knock retard, and nitrous retard.