issues with Hydroboost spewing oil from reservior

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
I am at odds. I have replaced lines, reservoir, pump and Ill be dipped if I can keep the thing from spewing out foam from the reservoir

I have now replaced the pump, ran all new AN-6 lines. Even replace the feed fine to the pump from reservoir.

Now I will state this. THIS IS A DIFFERENT RESERVOIR. This is one that is all metal from from an Astro Van.

Any ideas? Is the original Reservoir sealed?

So, you have jacked up the front and turned the steering wheel lock to lock several to many times to burp the system? Keep turning and monitoring the level in the reservoir to get the air out. If the reservoir runs dry the burping procedure will need to start again .
Are you sure you have the correct pump? The Turbo Regal pump spins opposite of the common pumps.

yea, have the car on stands. I did a lock to lock a few times now. As for the proper pump. I am sure as the steering would not work at all if the other one (which I know of) was used.

The original one has a pin hole in the cap. Sounds like you have air in the lines. Make sure all of your hose clamps are tight. You could also try the Lucas power steering fluid that seals leaks.

I had the same problem with my astrology van hb. The return line that's tee'd on needs to be an angled fitting and as close to the res as possible. The only way i found to get the air out is to vacuum bleed the system. Just need a mighty vac and a rubber cork from the hardware store.

My $.02
A. My LS/55 conversion has a 2 port res on it. It was important to be sure the return was on the lower port. It was not, and it was noisy, and aerated the oil. Cap would get wet w/ oil mist. Swapped the hoses, added some Lucas, problem solved. Lucas was added due to noise.
We have done 3 others, but all were LS transplants in hotrods. No issues.
B. My 86T/LS is set up the same way. Have not driven it, yet.
C. My 87 Turbo T has the stock reservoir modified by drilling the side toward the firewall for a -6 AN bulkhead fitting that's been shortened. The HB unit return goes there. The fitting is very close to the bottom of the tank. An aftermkt tank may be a better choice.
The return from the steer gear is plumbed as it was stock. So far, no issues.
Bottom line, no tees involved.
As a side note, on the 55, I used the psi shim kit, to reduce the psi....

Anyone doing the HB should be aware of the dramatic increase in caliper pressure. BE SURE the hoses are in good condition! The before psi w/ dual diaphragm, 8" booster = 800psi.
HB = 2100psi....That puny <11" rotor/pad will take a beating!!

Back under my injector bench...:smuggrin:

Chuck-did you eliminate the T so the brake pedal would return quicker? Do you have any pics of the reservoir?

im just coming into this post, but what kind of fluid are you using? gone through a bunch of these for this complaint most if not all did not have the correct fluid
try using dex6 atf. that should solve the foaming problem. if you believe its air trapped in the system then you will have to vacuum the air out. you can do this several ways, get a piece of rubber and cut it to fit the reservoir opening and make a port just large enough to fit a 5/32 hose and apply vacuum with the engine off.
it may take several attempts to get it all out. hope this helps , Fred

I bet its the wrong pump. I had two from the box stores. It did just that. Is it hard to turn at slow speeds sometimes? Once I got new TR specific AC delco boxed one from a TB.com vendor, it was fixed. Didn't have to bleed it any differently than before. Night and day difference.