ISAC Boost Control

DukeGN

I'm in need of some help with the boost control feature of the ISAC. I have a TurboSmart wastegate and BWR 3.5 downpipe with a dual solenoid setup. The spring in the gate is 7lbs, which is about all the boost I'm making right now. Under the config tab, I have solenoid 1 set at increase and solenoid two set as decrease (not bleeder/blocker) and I've verified the wiring. Also under the config tab, I've checked the boost control enable box and selected boost%/RPM. My enable parameters are working because I watched solenoid 1 go up to a 50% duty cycle yesterday but nothing seems to be happening.

1. Any recommendations based on the attached diagram of my hoses?

2. Should I ditch the two solenoid setup? Any recommendations on how the hoses should be routed in that scenario?

If anyone has a similar setup and has a diagram of the hoses and their config setup I would be really appreciative. If I don't get any leads I'll be headed down the 'ol trial and error route.

John

Attachments

• Boost control solenoid hoses JWG-TSR.pdf
    95.2 KB · Views: 103
Hi John,

Bob had me ditch the dual solenoid setup that BWR told me to hook up and go with a single solenoid setup like this.

Under the boost Config I have Solenoid 1 as a blocker and Solenoid 2 set as Error (nothing attached).

I'm currently using the Trim Mode knob set as Boost so I can use the front knob for setting boost. I've attached some pictures of would I have things currently setup.

Attachments

• blocker solenoid external gate.pdf
    11.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Boost Tab.jpg
    Boost Tab.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 217
  • Config Tab.jpg
    Config Tab.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 241
I am still using 2 solenoids, although probably not as intended. I could never get a straight answer why you couldn't have seperate duty cycles for the solenoids so I had to do some trial and error.Took me a lot of messing around to figure it out.
I'm sure the previous method posted would work good, here is another option for you though.
I have both solenoids set to bleeder.
Hose from the turbo to 2 T fittings, end of the hose connects to the bottom port of the wastegate. One T fitting feeds the first solenoid which exhausts on the top of the turbosmart gate. The second T feeds the second solenoid which is exhausted to atmosphere.
I have found that when the alky is low, it defaults to spring pressure (have tried everything from 5 to 19psi springs) and I ended up with about 10psi adjustment with my trim knob set to boost.

aside from "if its not broken, don't fix it", 2 solenoids should be tunable. But dual solenoids were intended for external CO2 and a gate pressure sensor.

The system is an offshoot of a classic PID controller, with some tweaks for spoolup and overshoot control.

The software that Eric has is the latest and has been run for a while.

There are some new features, and it works a bit differently. So its not a drop-in and go update.

first: for bleeder and blocker setups (single solenoid) the solenoid parameters have been changed. These parameters allow the software to estimate the required solenoid dutycycle based on desired boost, so that the control is tighter.

second: the spool mode has been simplified to make it easier to tune.

third: there is a TPS scalar adjustment (bank of sliders) to allow you to drop the boost by backing out of the throttle.

The ICC software has been improved, and you can drag your tune files and log files into the software window, instead of needing to 'open' them.

For those who want to update, the files are attached.

Bob

Attachments

• ICC 1.9.0 .zip
    769.8 KB · Views: 91
here are some screenshots.

1. this is a shot of a log showing how tight the boost control is and the spool rate. the target boost is the red line, the actual boost is in blue.

2. my boost settings, note the TPS sliders, they reduce my target boost if I back out of the throttle, they are 100% at the bottom so its easy to see what my target boost is when I'm at idle or cruise.

Bob

Attachments

• isac boost rise.jpg
    isac boost rise.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 187
  • isac boost screen.jpg
    isac boost screen.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 186
The logging abilities have been improved as well.

In the "Window Setup" tab you can check the "Window 2 triggers Log Autosave" and set the Window to be somewhere in your WOT range. Going into the Window 2 settings does nothing, but when you drop out of the Window 2 settings a log will be saved as well as you're current ISAC configuration.

This really makes saving logs and ISAC setting super easy to review later.

Most of the changes that have been made were in the boost control tab, with some minor tweaks on other tabs.

Attachments

• Save_Trigger.jpg
    Save_Trigger.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 178
One solenoid it is. Thanks a ton for the help.

In looking at the screen shots, Bob has higher spool gain, anti overshoot and run gain. What's the reason -- different type of gate, i.e, not external?

John

external gate is most of the reason,

My tune is fairly agressive on the boost control, Erics is conservative

Bob