Is this possible

M

Mad_Medeiros

Don't think im stupid... but one of my good freind's bought a Monte Carlo SS .. 87... not my type tough a not bad car.. its got a v8 and yes *he likes the Buick GN's

He wants to know if its possible to convert a GN V6 Turbo engine into a monte carlo, I'm asking this because he bought a GN that has been pretty beat up, you may not wanna see the pictures of this but here ya go

Be warned to all you GN fans

http://moldycr.net/bgn/grandnational.html

but hes thinkin about swappin the engine... from this to his monte carlo

You guys think its possibly?

i couldn't see why not.

i've seen GN engines in a vette (internet) and of heard of others putting them into s10's.

It is possible but lots of work. And although you have a donor car for the drivetrain, it's wire harness and ECM (necessary) are fried.

Wiring harness can be bought used from people like Mike McCoy or Bweavy, or he can buy a new one from Casper's Electronics, and the correct ECM's can be found at the U-Pullit-It yards for as little as $25-$30...

Yes, it's a lot of work to do, but if done right, you won't be able to tell that it didn't come that way from GM...

Just needs to get rid of that boat anchor Chevy 305 and put the real engine in it!!! ;) :D :cool:

Use the complete drivetrain...motor, tranny, rearend...

This is the same guy that started the flame over on the Fish/Kill section.

Car was stolen in Feb 1999.:eek: The monte guy is just getting around to doing something with it.:rolleyes:

If the GNs are so damn slow like he thinks maybe he can get one of the TT cosworths and put in the monte.

Check out the engine well before getting into this swap. Looks like it runs hot.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses
(yes i flamed a war, but it wont happen again)
Yes the wiring harness is all fried, but he ordered all the wiring last week from UAP/NAPA... they had them!! :eek:

the monte carlo's engine has already been pulled, Wiring was a B**** from what my freind told me, the removal of the GN engine is coming soon

Our only problem is alot of the stuff in this engine is fried and hard to pull, such as the turbo etc! any tips?

And will the gear ratio's etc.. need to be changed? since the guy that owned the GN sayed the car was damn quick

Thanks

Dan thompson yes the car was stolin and was put in flames. it has been recovered by the origional owner and hasn't been driving for 2 full years

Hey, wow, That was my car.

I miss that thing so much. Great car.

Just curious, has he done anything with it yet?

Did they catch the thief????!!!!!! I hope he FRIES in hell for what he did to that car!!!!!! What a shame.

Derrick

The guy had stolen around 40 cars in up until 1999, and was 19 years old. He was caught about six months later in another stolen car, and confessed to many others, including my old car (that GN linked above). He got 7 months in Corrections, and 5 months in boot camp, and was let out. He was ordered to pay reparations to a dozen or so of the owners, including the GN.
He paid one month worth of reparations, and stopped paying. He had only been out of boot camp for four months, and he stole another car, was spotted by police, and ran. He apparantly did heaps of damage to other cars, and almost killed somebody he rammed into, with a total felony sentencing for 15 years in Prison.
His name is Howard Bently, and I'm pretty sure he's in Jackson, MI, in the prison there.

While it looks intimidating it isn’t really. Not with the whole car, melted or not, being at his fingertips. I am planning the same swap for my SS and it should go smoothly given that I have EVERYTHING less an engine. GNVAIR is doing this same thing for his Father… so you are in good company.

Shoot questions here as needed, and the “other board” has a hybrid section for those who have put the mighty LC2 into far more complicated hosts than another G-body.

And the L69 305 sucks hard… I know from experience ;)

I have a pic of a GN engine swapped into a MC SS. If ya want it, e-mail me. Doesn't tell much about the swap though, just shows a pic.

Hey thanks!

Moldy that was your car!!?!!?!? My best freind bought that off you?

tell me more about that thing when it ran?

By the way we got the engine out of the GN finally.. took some work but its out there we are re-building it... well not we... but some help! :)

I like to see some pics of an SS with a GN V6 Turbo!

If its the same car thats in those pictures, Yep, It was my car.

The thing ran nice. I loved the sound of the turbo, and the dual exhaust.
It was great mechanically, except the one rear seatbelt didn't latch, which was no real problem, and physically, It was pretty good.
About a week before it was stolen, I went out looking for new doors because they had a slight bit of rust in the corners from salt splashing on them, and couldn't find any in the area that were in good condition.

Now I don't have a Turbo Buick, I just have a very nice <A HREF="http://moldy.net/various/truck/">GMC Truck</A>.

Oh, and the only car to ever beat my friend's Ford Mustang Cobra was a Grand National (not mine, Met him after it was burned).

WOW

This is your car then, because the doors have rust!!! and the rear seat belt seat belt doesnt latch! wow amazing!

to bad i cant hear the turbo yet. it wont sound right in a Monte carlo either

I don't think you got a reply on the rear end. I am pretty sure that the SS's has 3.73 gears, but the Buicks have 3.42's. Although some run around with 3.73's, the general consensus is that you want the 3.42's. The buick motor doesn't spin very fast and you will run out of steam real fast. Either way, make sure it's a posi.

All the little things add up.
I dumped the original olds 307 in my Regal, in favor of a low mile 87 GN drivetrain. Being orignally carbed, there was a lot of other stuff that needed doing, like running lines, new tank, pump and wiring..etc.
Solder your connections if you splice anything!! Its really important to have a worry-free connection. Take your time, and run wires carefully. My swap was really too quick. I was anxious to get it running, and cobbled up a few things to do it, and I am regretting it later.
The factory service manual is a great resource. I dont know where I'd be without mine. For the price, it is well worth it, especially when doing a swap out.
While the motor is out, do some preventative maintence on it. Inspect the things that are hard to get to once it goes in the car. Inspect the header for cracks, check exhaust for possible leaks, change out the main seals if they are original rope stuff. Change the valvesprings if high miles...lots of stuff like that. That kinda stuff gets more complicated when the motor is in its new home.

With that said, I wish you luck man, hope it turns out really well.