is there a way to make a 86/87 turbo work

EatM up

i seen that there is a $40 adaptor on gbodyparts.com is that all a person need to make that turbo work on are hotair set ups?

nope, that adpater is for the stock turbo. the only true bolt on is a ta-33. there is really no other option at this time. do a search it has been covered alot.

This is what we did for my brothers car....

My dad made an adapter and machined the housing on a TA 49. Turned out good then the tranny took a crap in the car.

It is a long way from easy, but cheaper then having a custom made hotair turbo made. Kinda scary machining on the housing casting you are going to be using. Really leaves no room for error.

Jerry jr.

After a long search for a replacement turbo for my 84 t type, the only option I had found was a TA33, but I did not want to pay $900 for it. Luckily I found MIC turbo in Hialeah, Florida. They machined the housing to fit a bigger wheel and completely rebuilt my stocker for only $565 shipped. Will be installing tomorrow. I delt with Elias MIC MIAMI INTERNATIONAL COMPONENTS,INC

blasstperformance does good work, ask them about the TA33, it's up in canada tho but good work. checkout the web page.

im confused guys lol so what is the point of that adaptor then? thanks for the input guys

The adapter that gbody sells...

The adapter can break around the oring grooves due to the thickness of the material in that area. Also people buy spares to drill a hole or holes for alky injection. That adapter he is selling is the exact same one as the one on your car, but I think there is an option to have the inside machined smooth.

So those are normally the two reasons people buy the adapters.

I have also seen the adapter heliarc welded to the end of an 86/87 turbo housing.

Either way you go keep everything clean and have fun.

Jerry jr.

Can you not loosen and spin the intake housing on a IC turbo? My buddy and I put a TA-60 on his 85 WH1 by doing this years ago. We were going to do a TA-51 but someone told me it had a different cimpressor gasket and wouldn't work.

That is what was done on the TA 49....

The pics above were from a ta49 that was reclocked, but the diameter of the housings are different thus the machining the needed to be done.

Jerry jr.

i seen that there is a $40 adaptor on gbodyparts.com is that all a person need to make that turbo work on are hotair set ups?

Not with that adaptor, but yes you can put one up there in the hairdryer position, previous owner of mine had one on there but there are some side effects, if you want to do it without the side effects you will need an adaptor for the throttle body so it sits in the proper position, other wise the tps will be poking the hood and every time you shut the hood you'll have to reopen it and adj the tps sensor, believe me, been there it sucks. Then the adaptor that hooks the turbo to the intake won't fit, you will have to fab a new one that is about 1/4 inch shorter and wider where it hooks to the turbo to properly seal the housing and so it sits low enough that the waste gate hinge on the elbow clears the heat shield on the hood, been there too, ruined a nice trcustomparts heat shield, waste gate clip and hinge dug right into it everytime I gassed on it. side effect 2 of that is the vibration from it digging into the heat shield will set your knock sensor off and the computer will pull timing and the car will fall flat on its face before you even get out of 1st gear, been there too, sucks. Its worth the effort to do it though, cause the 86 87 turbo spools crazy fast (compared to stock 84/85 turbo) and I was getting over 20 lbs out of it too and when I could peddle my way to full boost it did have a lot of pull, the trick was getting there without setting off the knock sensor, which was nearly impossible, but mine was put on with no adaptor on throttle body and they used a peice of kevlar hose to hook it to the intake that was part of the vibration problem, the wastegate linkage on the elbow was the rest of the vibration problem. If you use the throttle body adaptor plate and a well made fab'd intake adaptor it will work fine.

waco84gn's housing and adaptor looks pretty much dead on right. nice piece interested in selling it? :biggrin:

you MUST i repeat MUST have a turbo with a carbon seal backing plate and carbon seal, Almost all turbo's now have a dynamic seal in them. Go ahead, by a TA series turbo right now and adapt it to fit your hotair. Let me know how much oil your car burns and how much it smokes like a freight train. Im just saying, if it was so easy why doesn't every hotair car guy have one on there car. Years ago the Ta series turbos came with carbon seals, not anymore. And yes this is coming from someone who knows and has a TA series turbo on there car. anyways, want mine???? $1,500 and its yours ;) thats how easy it is.

Again boost231 is right...

Forgot to mention the above turbo is an old ta 49 with the correct seal and plate.

The only thing with doing multiple housings like that is the repeatabilty issue. The castings for the housings actually have quite a bit of variance so any kind of cnc program would basically be useless. My dad machined all of that on a manual lathe and mill.

He did make a fixture to hold the turbo upright, but that is only the beginning.

Thanks for the comments on the setup by the way.

Jerry jr