Is my fuel pump bad?

xLusi0n

My external fuel pump always makes a buzzing noise which is normal...but after a long 30-40 minute (hot) drive...the buzzing noise gets VERY loud...after it cools off, it quiets down again...its a NOS external fuel pump if that helps...any ideas?

i've been charging at 15.3V (blew a stereo amplifier)...so I think maybe that caused my fuel pump to "overwork" itself and "burn out" ??? Like working at 15.3V (when its designed to work at 14.0V) for 40 min just caused the pump to "burn out" ???

my question is that is it ok once i let it sit for awhile? usually after i let the pump sit for awhile and cool off, the noise returns to normal...as long as the pump makes noise it means its still pumping right? I only need to worry when the pump completely becomes silent (not pumping)??? could it still make noise, but not be pumping?

did i burn out the motor already? or after it cools off it should be fine? can that be rebuilt?

thanks.

I'm a little sketchy on your out-of-tank fuel pump. Not sure exactly what car you are talking about here... why you have an external fuel pump... etc...

Still... pumps making noises that change would might worry me. I don't know if you have a fuel pressure gauge and can monitor that, but I don't think I would risk things like fuel pumps. That's something that needs to work EVERY time... go into boost and that sucker decides to fail, you'll be getting a nice backfire and perhaps some leanout damage.

As far as if a pump is still working as long as it makes noise.. that depends on how the pump is designed...

It could make a noise and not pump a thing if the impeller inside decided to fail. Motor would just keep turning. Pump could go silent and engine could keep running. Won't run great, but it'll keep running.

So.. more info... but I'm not sure how confident I'd be with such a vital component to the car running and running safely.