Is it ok to install 5+ yr old valve springs

FTC

Sup guys, got a set of comp 980s that I was originally gonna install in my first GN till my brother crashed it into a wall.. But thats a whole nother story. They do have a little surface rust on them but they were in a closet in their box the whole time. Just wanted to see if they were still safe, I assume so cause they weren't under any pressure

4882f643-2dc3-1fd8.jpg

your good to go. They don't go bad from sitting. now if they where fully compressed for years thats another story

If they have a little surface rust look them over extremely carefully, if they've developed ANY pitting that is where they'll break.

your good to go. They don't go bad from sitting. now if they where fully compressed for years thats another story

Hate to say it but they naturally loose power and height just sitting there. Whether or not installed. Hve them checked for strength and hight before you do anthing with them. If there's no pitting and everything else checks out then you should be good.:smile:

I installed Comp springs in my 70 Z28 and their just fine. Maybe your locks were not sitting in tight.

lunati-77003-1-med.jpeg

Charlie, just curious but what if someone left them in the box but the box was left on it's side so no weight was on them not even there own weight. Would that be any better? Or is it just getting real late

Charlie, just curious but what if someone left them in the box but the box was left on it's side so no weight was on them not even there own weight. Would that be any better? Or is it just getting real late

It doesn't have to do with weight or gravity Fred. It's the way a stressed metal behaves. A spring will naturally change shape while sitting there, just like true glass will seem to get thicker at the bottom. The mechanics of it have to do with the stress of manufacturing. If the springs were cryo treated it wouldn't be that much of an issue because of the re-alignment of the matrix when it's treated but the fact that they've been sitting for 5 years they need to be checked at the very least.:smile:

Clear as mud now, right?

It doesn't have to do with weight or gravity Fred. It's the way a stressed metal behaves. A spring will naturally change shape while sitting there, just like true glass will seem to get thicker at the bottom. The mechanics of it have to do with the stress of manufacturing. If the springs were cryo treated it wouldn't be that much of an issue because of the re-alignment of the matrix when it's treated but the fact that they've been sitting for 5 years they need to be checked at the very least.:smile:

Clear as mud now, right?

I read that 3 times...and clear as mud exactly :wink:

I read that 3 times...and clear as mud exactly :wink:

Sorry Fred, I'll try to make it a little clearer.

When a metal is tempered it changes the structure of that metal and the internal stresses will break down after a while. The metal will change shape over time because of stress. It doesn't matter how you place them on the shelf it will happen.

A milling maching is a good example. If the table is left off to one side the table will distort to that side and seem to "bend" some. While metal seems to be a solid it's still somewhat fluid. Most "solids" are not as solid as you think if you do some research.

Sorry Fred, I'll try to make it a little clearer.

When a metal is tempered it changes the structure of that metal and the internal stresses will break down after a while. The metal will change shape over time because of stress. It doesn't matter how you place them on the shelf it will happen.

A milling maching is a good example. If the table is left off to one side the table will distort to that side and seem to "bend" some. While metal seems to be a solid it's still somewhat fluid. Most "solids" are not as solid as you think if you do some research.

Hmmm makes sense now. Very interesting stuff. Thank you for sharing!!!

Hmmm makes sense now. Very interesting stuff. Thank you for sharing!!!

Glad to know I could help you Fred.:cool: Metalurgy isn't that hard but knowing how the metal will flow is the key. Cryo treatment helps quite a bit but nothing is permanant after all.:biggrin:

One spring was weak and the titanium retainer broke and went through the engine, The heads could be saved with a lot of machine work, Rods Cam and crank but they didn't look pretty, Had to have the block sleeved

Hate to say it but they naturally loose power and height just sitting there. Whether or not installed. Hve them checked for strength and hight before you do anthing with them. If there's no pitting and everything else checks out then you should be good.:smile:

You'll get an arguement from my Kirban springs on that point. These have been sitting around for at least 8 years. Just measured them (on two calibrated scales built specifically for this purpose), and the weakest spring in the bunch was 100#, most were up around the 108-110 range. :mad:. Not what I expected. Now I have to go a different route.