Is having the Turbos oil filter here a problem??

Is the turbo's oil filter too close to a high heat source?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i have this second Filter just for the turbo
IMG_9218-internet.jpg

it was working fine with no problems
But at some event last year some guy suggested that i move the filter from its current location to avoid cooking the oil.
What do you guys think?
It is too close to a high heat source and it can/will cause a problem.
Or
It is fine where it is and don't worry about it.

I bet if you bolted the aluminum housing to something other than the turbo cover it would help. Its also getting blown on by radiator heat too. Honestly it wouldn't hurt to put it on the passenger fender with some flexible line.

I would just get a turbo saver from PTE and remove that ugly thing you have there. Sorry but pretty it aint!:redface:

Sorry for the dumb questions mark, my reading comprehension is not working very well today
Is this a filter canister with a removable/disposable filter cartridge inside??
if so
How much do the replacement cartridges cost?

forget it just read it for the 3rd time and got it.

i really like that set up
But what do i do about the giant hole in my turbo shield????? LOL

There's nothing wrong with your setup other than heating up the oil in the filter area, I'd put a temp gauge temporarily on a filter line and take a reading to see if the heating is excessive.

You could probably find some space age hard ceramic stuff and isolate the bracket mounting from the turbo shield.

A swiss cheesed spacer made in aluminum moving it away from the shield an inch or two if possible would also work.

There's usually decent airflow in that area to help.

I have my PTE turbo saver mounted on turbo cover and after a easy summer run thru the city i pointed my infared gun at the oil filter ...it read 165 f the same temp as my scanmaster was reading for water temp...i do use a big alu. radiator and a custom DLS ALU. engine oil pan

The oil will be hotter than anything in that area

IMO - Mark's design is superior. Not only does the turbo receive filtered oil but the engine does too at all times.

I have Marks (TR Custom Parts) and have a -3an braided brake hose to feed my turbo, easy, lighter and more appropriate as a filtered oil feed for our turbo. I'm about to replace the filter this Spring but $17 isn't bad every 2 years regardless of miles (my filter swap schedule not Marks).

I think the OP's oil setup is sold by a board member, it's better than nothing filtering the oil. Find him and I'm sure he's been doing it for a while with no issues (though I'm not sure if he monitors oil temps).

I have Marks (TR Custom Parts) and have a -3an braided brake hose to feed my turbo, easy, lighter and more appropriate as a filtered oil feed for our turbo. I'm about to replace the filter this Spring but $17 isn't bad every 2 years regardless of miles (my filter swap schedule not Marks).

I think the OP's oil setup is sold by a board member, it's better than nothing filtering the oil. Find him and I'm sure he's been doing it for a while with no issues (though I'm not sure if he monitors oil temps).

i talked to him about getting braided lines and such but i didn't ask about cooking and high temps
i'll PM him today
thanks for the idea

I dont get how marks system works where does it get its oil feed from? Does it tap into the oil filter adapter for the oil cooler or does his filter replace the filter on the car as well as filtering turbo oil?

i ended up changing it a little
i went with steel braided lines and 1inch spacers - So instead of the oil filter base sitting right on the turbo shield now it has an inch away. so far no problems.

Attachments

• turbo oil filter set up.JPG
    turbo oil filter set up.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 236
I dont get how marks system works where does it get its oil feed from? Does it tap into the oil filter adapter for the oil cooler or does his filter replace the filter on the car as well as filtering turbo oil?

Replaces the traditional filter and feeds the turbo off the end cap with always filtered oil. The filter hanging off the turbo shield just looks funky to me.