Is GN OE fuel pump as good as TTA?

monty89tta

Hi all, sorry if this is redundant. I'm a noob, but could use some help. I'm trying to keep my TTA stock (I know, I know). Has had very intermittent hot start issues since the day I bought it. Finally brought it to a Buick dealer, and they said fuel pressure dropping as car warms up, and to replace pump.

This hasn't solved problem, but I'm going to choose to believe that fuel pump needed replacing. Problem is when I looked on my invoice they installed PN: 25116154, which shows as pump for GN/GNX Buicks. When I research, I'm coming up with PN 25163473.

Is there a significant difference in the pumps? should I make them redo?

P.S. Would welcome any comments on the start issues. It randomly just won't turn over. Has a new starter, alternator seems to be fine, good battery, I don't know of any VATS issue...

...........Is there a significant difference in the pumps? should I make them redo?.........

Here is the little I know about GM fuel pumps in the early years.

The GN/GNX were the same pump.

The TTA pump in 1989 was a upgrade on the 1986-7 GN's.

When GM supercharged the Park Ave in 1991, that was another upgrade.

The fuel pumps were upgraded, and the old ones phased out over the years and the current part number would fit all those applications.

Bottom line, your new GM pump should be as good, or better, that the old one.

The method to check the fuel pump/pressure in your car is to use an old fashioned gauge with a needle and a hose connected to the fuel rail!

Nick, thanks for the info. So it should do the job regardless of which of the two parts numbers was ordered it sound like? I'm was just wondering why both separate part #s would still be available...

Nick, thanks for the info. So it should do the job regardless of which of the two parts numbers was ordered it sound like? I'm was just wondering why both separate part #s would still be available...

If you are doing any sort of "spirited" driving a fuel pump and "hotwire" upgrade should really be considered. Even new the stock stuff was marginal and with time the degradation of the components could leave you with a lean condition resulting in engine damage.

Intermittent no crank can be as simple as loose battery cables. Check both. They should not move at all if you try to wiggle them.

Intermittent hot start on a TTA= injector wiring harness. Solves with a hot wire injector harness. Ask V8Killer. Took months to find that on his TTA. The harness makes a huge loop around the engine compartment. As it heats up resistance keeps increasing. Fine on initial cold start, no fire when hot. He tested every electrical circuit, connections, etc. Finally tried noids on the injectors. Bright when cold, dim when hot. I guarantee you a buick dealer would never find this issue.