Is 99.99% with top end lube ok?

GangsterMD

Turbo'd since '95
Hello, I've been getting my alcohol from a friend who runs it in his car and 2 jr. dragsters. He says it's 99.99% pure alcohol with some top end lubricant in it. Is there any chance that the top end lubricant could take away from the effectiveness?
Thanks
Darren

The lube if petroleum based can mess up the pump.

Some lubes can mess up the pump, some dont seem to create issue. There is no data on what lubes whether synthetic or petroleum based will cuase what with the pump on your system.

You do not need any sort of lube with your injection kit. Your engine does not need any lube with the methanol being shot in.

Lube is only needed for applications running straight methanol as a primary fuel. Like a race car for example.

If the alcohol is free.. and you mess up the pump.. you end up paying for it buying a new pump ;)

Also.. dont run gasoline in any amount through the pump.. it will damage it in a few weeks. Cross contamination fuel+alcohol is the #1 killer of injection pumps. Example using an old gasoline can for alcohol storage. Also.. Getting alcohol from somewhere they dont use a dedicated pump for it.

If you run it straight/water and dont cross contaminate it with something not alcohol or water.. it will give you the longest life.

HTH

I couldn't speak for the other kits as I have no knowledge, but I saw he had your kit, so I decided to be specific. :)

Yes sir thank you :D

The only kit that ever needed lube was the old SMC with the intank pump. Those used an EFI fuel pump as the alky pump.. and alcohol being as dry as it is.. required lube to keep the little pumps going. Everyone else uses either flojet, shurflo, or aquatec as a pump. They all have Santoprene as the main material used in their diaphrams. Santoprene gets killed with gasoline/petroleum.

Valves are different, cams are different, motor rpm is different.. among pumps. But some things stay the same. The only other material in existance is Geolast. It holds up worse.

I use this example, if you look at nitrous companies and the solenoids they sell for fuel. They have a solenoid for gasoline with viton seals. They have a solenoid for methanol that has buna seals. They do not offer a solenoid that will handle both fuels. This is why you cant mix gasoline and alcohol.. the cocktail is extremely destructive. Problem is most who run straight methanol in racing apps build their systems to handle fuel with some extras to handle methanol in the short term.. and use alcohol on weekends.. then flush the system out. Its a mess..

Hope this helps someone searching :D

Alcohol and Powerlogger file advice?

Ok thanks, I never actually thought of it ruining my pump! I was wondering if it could reduce the effectiveness in this application. I was going to start a thread with this powerlogger file - but perhaps you guys could give me some advise? I was running 110 octane fuel, 19# boost, 23/21 timing, 10.9 target afr, 820 - 02's and seeing 2-3* of kr, alky knob set to 3. I turned it to 5 and it didn't change? I burned a piston last time racing at 19# and alky with stock heads turbo ic etc. So this was my first weekend racing after a completely rebuild of the car. I put fresh 110 and alky hoping to be safe. Any advice? Honestly I'm still learning about the 6.0 chip and didn't actually adjust the target afr at all.
Thanks for any feedback.
D

Attachments

• 8-22f.zip
    61.3 KB · Views: 24
I don't have a powerlogger or the software, but with those numbers the 1st thing I would be looking for is false knock...Did it do it more on the launch and go away, or during gear shifts...Anytime where shifting, banging, spinning, etc.

Now if it was fine and at the top of 3rd it started to get knock readings that's bad, but I have a hard timing thinking that's what happened with the numbers you posted.

19 PSI boost, 110 octane and alcohol.. that is overkill on octane. And will not cause it to burn a piston. Any knock your getting sounds false.

More than likely the piston was hurt previously and racing it finally killed it.

Knock is to be watched in high gear. Go from a 60 MPH roll.. at about 80 you should be in the 800 range for o2's. At the boost level 19 PSI, it will be more likely 820-830.

One more thing, place the alky knob on 6 and leave it alone. lean out the car adding boost or dropping fuel pressure.

Hello, I've been getting my alcohol from a friend who runs it in his car and 2 jr. dragsters. He says it's 99.99% pure alcohol with some top end lubricant in it. Is there any chance that the top end lubricant could take away from the effectiveness?
Thanks
Darren

Tell your friend not to use it in his Jr.s either:rolleyes:.The Jr motors do not create enough heat and the lube cokes on the back side of the valve.This eventually hurts valve seal and you loose power:mad:.With only 1 cylinder you cannot give anything up.:eek: It,s also hard on the pump and carb.Been their done that.:wink:

Kevin

Thanks for the advise. One more question please Julio - do you recommend the use of a powerplate and alky? I think the theory is good with just air but I when you add alky in some form of liquid I question it's purpose.
Thanks again,
Darren