Is 31.6 degrees of knock retard too much?

Yep! Drove it home 100 miles from the track too. No apparart damage from it's ordeal either. Needless to say, I have some issues to address. Like WTF caused that much knock with C16 at 25# of boost. Naturally the times were atrocious. Hopefully the head gaskets will overlook this beating for quite a while.

WOW!! Man Jeff take it easy on that thing man.:eek: You need to start with low boost and work up slowly to see what you can handle. You can't just come out balls to wall the first time out bud.:D To much air and not enough fuel and/or octane. Was your tank empty before the c-16 was added and what was your fuel psi? Frank

Before you give yourself a heart attack, are you sure it is not false knock ??
I broke the support arm for my CAS intercooler at WOT, at the track, which had my entire intercooler ratteling against the front sway bar. It was registering 15 at the end of my run on the scanmaster.. I thought the engine was toast, until I figured out it was just the intercooler ratteling around.
Look around your engine compartment and see if anything is loose that could be banging around.

I know

This was the third run by the way, but obviously too much boost. First run today was at about 12 psi. (The wastegate rod had come loose on the way to the track and backed itself off.) So I turned it back to where I was at last time at the track when it ran 13.0 at 107mph and ran it again. This is when I got the knock. The tank had maybe 2 1/2 gallons of 93 with 3 gallons of 116 on top. (Last time when I ran the 13.0, I had about 2 1/2- 3 gallons of 93 plus 3 gallons of 112.) No scan tool that time though, but it sure didn't pull this much timing out and run 6 tenths and 5mph faster than today! I need help tuning, but I've had enough for this year I believe.

Originally posted by jdodman
Before you give yourself a heart attack, are you sure it is not false knock ??
I broke the support arm for my CAS intercooler at WOT, at the track, which had my entire intercooler ratteling against the front sway bar. It was registering 15 at the end of my run on the scanmaster.. I thought the engine was toast, until I figured out it was just the intercooler ratteling around.
Look around your engine compartment and see if anything is loose that could be banging around.

I'll check that out good. I guess the ecm would not know the difference and pull out the timing in any case. So it could be slow because it thinks it needs to be. That would be nice, but I sure won't count on it. Thanks!

BTW - There is an excellent mechanic for our cars right here in Warminster PA. In case you decide you want to spend the money and have someone who knows these cars inside out.
Dave Heintz at Warminster Auto...

Originally posted by jdodman
BTW - There is an excellent mechanic for our cars right here in Warminster PA. In case you decide you want to spend the money and have someone who knows these cars inside out.
Dave Heintz at Warminster Auto...

Yeah, I heard that name a couple times before. If I can recover a bit over the winter, I'll keep him in mind. I've spent my quota for this year and most of next already.
Thanks.

If your going to run it hard like that with your chip you need straight c-16 not blended stuff. With that much pump gas your octane is way down.:) Frank

Agreed.

I was not shooting for 25#'s though. That was an accident. I thought I was gonna be closer to 22#'s. I don't know how to calculate the mix I had, but it was a higher octane than last time, and that worked out much better than today.

Edit: It was about 15-20 degrees cooler last time at the track. No doubt that played a part in what may have been a lucky run that day. I'm not trying to play Russian Roulette on purpose.

I'd check you motormounts.

Last time I had KR in the 30's the bolt backed out.

See if the motor torques over in gear in the driveway.

Use the brakes and open the hood. ;)

I'll have a look at that.

Originally posted by salvageV6
I'd check you motormounts.

Last time I had KR in the 30's the bolt backed out.

See if the motor torques over in gear in the driveway.

Use the brakes and open the hood. ;)

The drivers side is a new poly, and the passenger side new stock part, but I did just recently need to put a bolt in the poly mount from the mount into the block. Hopefully I don't have another one missing. This knock was at 92mph though. Seems to me if it were the mount, it would have been at a lower speed. (Unless it was more a "vibration knock" from a loose mount instead of a torque over and bang deal.)

That's another thing now that you mention audible knock. You say 6, as in 6 degrees right? Well at 31.6 I didn't hear any knock at all! Either it didn't exist or the times I HAVE heard knock must have been like a hundred! Scary thought!

umm, no heh

6 knock is a lot, 1 knock is a lot.

on scanmaster that is how much your computer is compensating for that. usually it will be able to tune your boost down and your "timing degrees"

30 degrees is like below the origional timing which i dont think it actaully did.

you can hear knock at like 6.0 just depends, but when you hear it inside your car that's a bad sign. the only time i can hear it inside my car is the time that i was messing with regulator and not allowing enough fuel at high boost.

6 knock is a lot, 1 knock is a lot

I know 6 is too much, 1 isn't anything I would be overly freaked out about. I was just wondering why I didn't hear 31.6.

I don't know enough to say if the computer successfully pulled that much timing out, but given the crappy results of the run....I bet it succeeded in pulling out pretty much.

BTW-this chip was a 27 deg chip.

one time at the track I was going down the strip and the tube connected to the turbo that goes to the wastegate solenoid blew off, the boost sky rocketed and my knock went to 36 degrees

I was at 92mph & my boost was steady at 25# when this was recorded.

I wish it were that simple for mine. Everything is connected under my hood that is supposed to be. I am still perplexed as to why I didn't hear such an enormous amount of knock. Oh well, I'll have to start from scratch next spring at low boost and high fuel.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Jeff

I think it was simply just a lack of octane.......and obviously too much boost. However, that high of a reading, check the obvious false knock stuff. :)