INTHEEIGHTS New Dyno Numbers 3-13-07

John Wilde

I'm getting too old for this $#!%
Staff member
Guys,

I just got off the phone with Ken Smith.
The motor is still warm in the back of the Tahoe as he drives it home.

-The new 1.5 A/R Turbine Housing was installed.
-Timing was set at 37* yes that is not a misprint!
-The carb was tweaked to provide 11.5 A/F

At 20psi the lowest he could get the twin Tial 41MM Gates to hold it made
1589HP.

At 24psi it made 1598HP and had 34psi of back pressure.
The conclusion is that the turbo is the limiting factor on the max horse power at this point. 1600HP on a non intercooled blow through is pretty awsome!
With a liquid to air intercooler the motor would pick up about 200HP.
With a bigger compressor wheel all best are off.

For this season Ken will go out and get used to the 1600HP that he has on tap now. The car should make some warm weather testing in a couple weeks.

Good luck bro!

1600 hp

ken 1600 hp is a lot of power!!! let us know when you get some track times!!1:biggrin:

37 Degrees:D That's a big block for you. Nice #'s with a maxed out turbo. That's enough for 7's....

That will get your attention when you mat it for the first time with 20#. In all seriousness, I'd check the springs in the gates or something. I recommend cutting that boost to 10-12# for the first passes so you can see how the car will behave. Good luck and get us some et's soon.

37 Degrees:D That's a big block for you. Nice #'s with a maxed out turbo. That's enough for 7's....

That will get your attention when you mat it for the first time with 20#. In all seriousness, I'd check the springs in the gates or something. I recommend cutting that boost to 10-12# for the first passes so you can see how the car will behave. Good luck and get us some et's soon.

What do you think he should do about the gates?
They have 14psi springs in them.
I told him to sell them and go bigger gates so he can run the car on pump gas.

I would check wastegate function 1st. Ive seen new gates all jammed up brand new. Or wastegate placement. Gotta remember thats a whole bunch of exhaust pressure coming out of that big motor.

BTW thats some crazy HP.:eek: Congrats!!!!

Sounds like he should make sure that the intake signal is going to the bottom of the gate!!! The twin 41MM should be able to handle the 95MM.

Yes. Make sure the intake pressure signal is going to the bottom port on the gate's, vent the top. This will get the boost as low as it can go with the current spring. It will have to be this way anyway when he puts a boost controller on it.

Like Louie mentioned. It's not a bad idea to check and make sure both gate's have full travel. Ken could remove the disharge pipes from the gate's and put a pressure source on the bottom port of the gate. I use C02 pressure but air will work. I slowly raise the pressure from 0 until I can see the valve begin to open. I have a 7# spring and it takes about 5# of pressure to get the valve to begin opening. I keep increasing pressure until the valve is fully open. For me it's around 12 to 15#. Doing this when the gate is bolted to the header flange will make sure the valve doesn't stick and gets full travel.

Hello guys.

Its been awhile but i bought a new house out in the country and the internet service sucks @ the best so im going to satilite internet service. so yes thanks to john wilde he was able to keep everyone up to speed thanks john.
yes, im really happy with the motor from here on out its going to be up to cal and i to get this power to the ground so im taking a trip south to cals........ here about 2-3 weeks. i applied pressure with a gauge to the gates just to make sure they were working and everything seemed to be working. steves and my thoughts were the gates are just not enough. Hey dusty maybe you could call me or ill call you and we can talk about it thanks....... i need a phone number.

THATS ALOT OF F%#KIN POWER!

But in all seriousness, DB is right about turnin down the wick a bit for a couple hits to see how the chassis / suspension / ect.. take it. Congrats on the #s, and good luck at the track!!!

Hello guys.

Its been awhile but i bought a new house out in the country and the internet service sucks @ the best so im going to satilite internet service. so yes thanks to john wilde he was able to keep everyone up to speed thanks john.
yes, im really happy with the motor from here on out its going to be up to cal and i to get this power to the ground so im taking a trip south to cals........ here about 2-3 weeks. i applied pressure with a gauge to the gates just to make sure they were working and everything seemed to be working. steves and my thoughts were the gates are just not enough. Hey dusty maybe you could call me or ill call you and we can talk about it thanks....... i need a phone number.

256-303-5387

I can get mine to 7# with a single 48mm Newgen. Granted I have ALOT smaller motor but twin 41's should be able to get you less than 20#. Call me. I'll be around tonight. If you don't get me try tomorrow. I'll be working on my car before heading to a race to watch for the weekend.

256-303-5387

I can get mine to 7# with a single 48mm Newgen. Granted I have ALOT smaller motor but twin 41's should be able to get you less than 20#. Call me. I'll be around tonight. If you don't get me try tomorrow. I'll be working on my car before heading to a race to watch for the weekend.

Dusty,

I will PM you his cell number.

Man I cannot imagen 1600hp in a 3600lb car... In the monsters I work on we run about 1500 and they weigh right at 9600lbs and they are INSANE! Hell, 8-900hp is about all thats streetable and even those rides are insane... I seriously cannot wrap my head around that kind of power to weight ratio.:D

Good luck with it and keep the pretty side up!

Man I cannot imagen 1600hp in a 3600lb car... In the monsters I work on we run about 1500 and they weigh right at 9600lbs and they are INSANE! Hell, 8-900hp is about all thats streetable and even those rides are insane... I seriously cannot wrap my head around that kind of power to weight ratio.:D

Good luck with it and keep the pretty side up!

Ken's car is around 3200 lb:eek: It will go 7's on the 28x10.5 when he gets the chassis sorted out.

Wow , How he end up that light ? You and I have some heavy cars!

I was shocked too. He didn't say if that was raceweight or empty but I took it as raceweight. I could get down to 3300 pretty easily but the bias would not be right because I'd be taking it off the rear of the car.....bumper, backseat, Fab 9 rear end. I'd rather race with the extra weight over the back tires. I sit around 3475 now which is still heavy for what we're trying to do. I'm going to try and take 20#'s off of myself rather than spend $800 on it:cool:

Weight

Ran across this site looking for carbon fiber hood and rear deck. It's called Rod n Race . They sell different type fiberglass bodies Willys, 40's ,Henry J etc.

Under other they have 81-87 Regal /GN fiberglass hoods, rear deck and fenders ,dashboard also nice looking complete Pro Stock frontend(header panel with fenders) would be nice to mount it where it would tilt forward.It sells for $895.'The frontend is a single piece.

They also sell fiberglass doors inner and outers assembled. $395 a piece.Site is www.rodnrace.com/buickhtm. Some nice lookin stuff. They'd definately bring the weight down. An All fiberglass GN would be nice. Probably bring weight down to close to 3K

Ran across this site looking for carbon fiber hood and rear deck. It's called Rod n Race . They sell different type fiberglass bodies Willys, 40's ,Henry J etc.

Under other they have 81-87 Regal /GN fiberglass hoods, rear deck and fenders ,dashboard also nice looking complete Pro Stock frontend(header panel with fenders) would be nice to mount it where it would tilt forward.It sells for $895.'The frontend is a single piece.

They also sell fiberglass doors inner and outers assembled. $395 a piece.Site is www.rodnrace.com/buickhtm. Some nice lookin stuff. They'd definately bring the weight down. An All fiberglass GN would be nice. Probably bring weight down to close to 3K

Nice stuff. I'm pretty sure Dusty is only allowed a glass hood, which he already has.

what happened t0o the link?