Internal Flex Plate

ATP makes both external and neutral balance flexplates. You can get them through Summit and probably your local parts store.

They are not SFI approved, but if you're not making stupid power, they'll work.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATP-Z117

I bought this one and have it on the shelf as a "something just happened and I need to get this thing on the road right now" spare. You can get it through your local parts chain, too.

As for a 10 second motor, yeah, it'll probably do fine for a little while. Lots of people have run 10s on unopened stock engines with the original flex plate. They don't typically fail spectacularly since we don't spin them to the moon, they distort around the torque converter mount holes and won't go back on after you remove them. That's what happened to my original flexplate after five years of autocrossing on it (in and out of the throttle a lot hurts them, too). No cracks, just the plate distorted and after it came off, it wasn't going back on.

Heck, at $21 each, replace it every 100 passes. It'll be five years before you pay for a JW.

That said, I put a JW in my current build.

Last edited:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATP-Z117

Heck, at $21 each, replace it every 100 passes. It'll be five years before you pay for a JW.

That said, I put a JW in my current build.

Ya ever see one go BOOM... Not a pretty site. I value my legs more than others I guess. I did have a China SFI one till we were swapping out the trans. What a mess that was . Ya I suppose you could hammer it back or put it in the trash where it belongs. JW in all our stuff here.Just an opinion from an old man. ;)

Ya ever see one go BOOM... Not a pretty site. I value my legs more than others I guess. I did have a China SFI one till we were swapping out the trans. What a mess that was . Ya I suppose you could hammer it back or put it in the trash where it belongs. JW in all our stuff here.Just an opinion from an old man. ;)

Note my last sentence. :)