Intermediate tank harness melted..

Scott87

Conscious guided
I drove out to a car cruise tuesday was a little benefit run. The car seemed fine going there ended up melting the clip the bulkhead pins clip into. The plastic after having time to cool actually insulated the pins and prevented anything going to the pump. The harness was a stocker and was driving a DW301. Before this pump it was driving an older walbro I think a 307.

I ended up replacing the intermediate harness with a racetronix harness. It looks as though even since the grounding looks better the true bottleneck appears to be the connection where the bulkhead pins actually connect to the rest of the harness.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had melting issues with the better designed harnesses?

A bad connection ( corroded pins or sockets) at the bulkhead connector will create enough heat to melt the plastic. I am a automation equipment repair electrician at GM and I have seen it many times at work . A poor connection = heat , I had a problem with my bulkhead connector, only my pump wouldn't run at all , changed it and it's fine now. :biggrin: Sam

Just went thru this on the FP fuse, on the 55.
First fuse appeared to be tite in the block connectors...Not. Melted the plastic, but the fuse held. Changed the fuse... same story. Moved the wiring to another port on the panel, and changed the fuse to a BUSS fuse. [The first 2 were the cheapo/Ho Chi Min/Autozoners...] Pump is a turbo Supra unit.

I can understand pitted or corrosion. The thing is the pins on the bulkhead connector are fricking tiny in comparison to the gauge of the wire these harnesses are made from. The pins in my mind appear to be a bottle neck.

I can already tell that the ground going to the pump with the new harness is considerably better since it doesnt want to ground through the sending unit only. It grounds direct and also to the sending units return.

The question isnt so much about stock harnesses but of the ones purchased from racetronix?

If this is only going to melt again in a year then I should consider having another harness on hand or consider making a harness that is sealed differently where there is not a restriction due to tiny bulkhead pins..