Interior Plastic Painting

Mike Horak

Will Work For Buick Money!!!!!!
A while back I read a piece on painting interior plastic. I cannot remember if it was here or on gnttype but it was really well done with pics and such.

I have searched and searched and I'll be darned if I can find it. As the winter months creep up on us I want to migrate into my little 16X16 heated shop and work on restoring trim and interior parts and, as usual, I need info on the right way to go about things.

If anyone has links or info, please share.

SEM makes great products.

I used their products when I restored my TA, use an adhesion promoter, and finish off with a top coat (clear), you can choose gloss or matte.

I have heard nothing but good comments about SEM products. Definitely want to do the project right so it will look good and last.

I cannot remember the name of the adhesion promoter but I want to say "bulldog" or something like that.

Whatever it is, it worked great and gave me finished products that felt like they were stock.

You want to clean the vinyl with some type of prep spray to get rid of silicone (aka Armor All) and then use the SEM vinyl prep and Vinyl dye. Follow the instructions. The Prep softens the vinyl and promotes adhesion and it keeps you from having to sand to prep the surface. it's been a while since I've worked with it but there is usually a set amount of time you have to apply the dye withing so it will stick.

And i'll say it again. You are far better off to find a local paint jobber and have them match an unfaded interior piece.

This dash was a faded one out of a wreck.

The show gears did a great show on how to dye interior panels on the Miata project I think. You should be able to see it on the website

I finished painting my interior parts a couple months ago. Interior looks like it is brand new now. I used SEM paint mostly because they were the only company that had a color that was close to the original grey color in my GN. I used SEM paint and SEM clear coat over the paint to protect it. The paint is kind of expensive but it matches. I will say , I hated the clear coat cans / nozzles, I had a lot of trouble with the cans constantly spitting and leaving hazzy spots. I can't tell you how much money and many cans I wasted or had to re buy. I am happy with the results, though. I did not use the SEM adhesive promoter because it was too steep for me. Each can cost like $20, I used the bulldog brand, for like $11. I have been using that for years and had excellent results. Here The videos that i used as a Reference:

P.s. be sure to get the T.S.P cleaning agent as Stacy from "GEARS" Talks about in the 2nd video.

I've used SEM on several projects and it works GREAT! They have explicit instructions, so do all their steps, don't try to scrimp, and you'll be happy with the results. BTW, it's all water-based. At least the stuff for a spray gun is, can't vouch for the aerosols...

I bought the spray cans from G-Body parts for my GN. I painted all the plastic parts around the t-tops and the back seat side panels. Looks great. I cleaned the parts first with Dupont plas-stick cleaner. I also used it to paint the steering column and the glove box door.

I used the interior paint from Kirbans and it worked real nice and matched perfect.:cool: