Interesting trans problem...

98regalGSinPA

I guess this problem is odd to me because I have never seen a FWD trans with over 200K on it, however someone else might know if I am barking up the right tree or not...

98 4T65E HD (L67 with a MN7)...

Pass side shaft (Long shaft) Very very loose attachment to the final drive, flops all over like its not splined. Fully seated and splined checked everything out and the only thing I can come up with is the bearing in the FDhousing is bad. So I guess my question is has anyone ever seen this problem where the bearing and the sleeve on the end of the final drive have enough play to make the shaft end wobble greatly, or if I am barking up the wrong tree and my final drive is shot or the inner bearing on the other side is bad, or ... well I think you get the idea...

Help GREATLY appreciated, miss my car...

You can remove the final drive of the 4T65 for inpsection and not have to pull the trans.

Yea, I have the final drive out of the trans, I am just not sure if a small amount of play between the bearing and the bushing on the very end of the final drive could translate into a massive amount of slop in the axle shaft connection to the trans. Splines are tight and all the shaft just flops like its not attached.

Sorry, it's been too many years ago for me to be of much help. If it had excessive movement and wasn't repeatedly ruining the axle seal, I'd be tempted to remove the boot and check the tri-pod joint.

The bushing in the cone supports the final drive so if it doesnt feel lose on the carier its ok. Check the amount of play on axle in carier at the smooth area with the oil grooves just behind the splines. That is the part of the axle that spins in the carrier and commonly wears carrier on high mileage trans

Thanks to you both, Ill check that out hopefully ill be able to find something. Hate seeing it sittin up on the rack in pieces. Only time that is good is in the case of improvements ya know? haha Anyways, much appreciated ill let ya know what I find.