intercooler kit poll

What would you want in a hotair conversion?

• Intake only?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • complete kit...pipes and all with 86-87 i/c and tb?

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • intake only setup for other type of tb?

• complete kit with open options for tb

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Intake with ability to have tb/ inlet clocked in different positions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

national84

Heavy breather
As per the other "conversion intake" thread, I have a chance to get a kit going for hotair conversion.

WHat I am looking for is the marketability of a kit vs just the intake. As well as what components will be the most desirable in a kit.

What I am actually doing is modifying the stock hotair intake to accept the 86-87 TB (possibly others), and the re-clocking the turbo so it can be piped into a front mount intercooler. There are a few reasons for this, #1 I agree with the whole accessory bracket and turbo mving thing....way to much involved. #2 The stock 86-87 intercooler has proven to be anemic when seeking to create real power. #3 THe cost of a complete conversion of the hotair motor to the newer style is cost prohibitive. #4 the stock intercooler requires use of an electric fan, which I personally believe in, but is and added cost and others may not be as willing to convert. Now, if the general consensus is that the stocker is good enough, we can make either a possibility.

The intake is in development as we speak (or in this case type), and it is looking very promising. I should have some pictures within a week or so, we have secured flow bench time, and now have a test car for the prototype. I will post pictures and results as more progress is made.

The goal is an intake that will exceed the flow characteristics of the stock 86-87 unit and be easily bolted on with only minor modifications to the rest of the engine bay. With this accomplished and the addition of a good front mount intercooler, we should see many "stock" hotairs out performing the stock intercooled cars.

WE have also decided to make the intake hotair friendly, so that those who do not want to go intercooled can still use it and have performance gains as well.