Integrated 2-3 pod A-pillar, the whole pillar.

Project TNX

Someone needs to make an A-pillar with 2 and 3 guages built right into the pillar. I love the look of gauges there, but I do not like the look of one sitting on the pillar itself, either bolted or taped on. So I have not bought one as of yet. If one is already made feel free to point me in the right direction. :)

I like this idea also.
are they all the same? T-Tops and solid roof?

yeah lotech but I heard you have to "modify" it....and if you modify it and f*uck it up, they ain't giving you your cash back

i think im going to order the one from lotek that full A pillar one and the one that mounts on the t-tops.
Ill report back how they fit

The Lotek pillar I had wasnt even close to fitting. It was too long and the one gauge pod on the Lotek pillar was hitting the instrument cluster pod. I didnt see anyway I could make it fit, so I let someone else have it.

I had the LoTek dual-gauge full-pillar pod on my hardtop GN (sold) and I thought it fit really well. the bottom gauge pod did touch the instrument cluster, but it wasn't a big deal. It fit really well, but the only issue I had with it was that it doesn't wrap around the pillar as far as the stock piece does. In other words, it looked like the stock piece from inside the car, but from outside the car, with the window down, you could see a little of the painted portion of the pillar that was normally covered by the factory pillar trim. It bugged me at first, but I got used to it and most people didn't notice it.

bottom line, I'd buy one again.

Rob

Lotek, highly recommended for hard top or moonroof cars.

I recently installed their full dual pillar pod on my 87 Turbo T. I painted it to match my blue interior with some of G-bodyparts' interior blue paint. Perfect match btw.
I tried it both ways. With the factory pillar trim removed, you are right, it does show some of the metal of the a-pillar. This confirmed what I had been told by others that this full pillar pod was designed to overlay/cover the stock trim. So I re-installed the factory trim and overlayed the new full pillar pod. Once I got it tucked underneath the metal head liner trim at the top of the door and screwed the screws into the factory mounting points, it fit perfectly. Some finagling is needed to get it to line up with the door molding trim that is beside the dash but once it does, it fits. Yes, the bottom gauge barely touches the dash pad, but I like the fact that it puts the gauge as low as possible and puts the second gauge at an excellent viewing angle and not in your face or above your line of sight.
Here's some before and after pics.

Before.

Interior1.jpg

After.

DSC00483.jpg

The flash reflection from the mirror put a funny shadow effect on the upper part of the pod in the picture above.

DSC00486.jpg

I would recommend this pillar pod to any hard top or moon roof owners out there.
HTH

Patrick

nice install and super clean 'T'!!

when I installed the dual gauge pod, I removed the stock piece because I wanted to be able to return the car back to stock at some point and if you overlay the dual pod on top of the stock piece you end up with an extra hole in the stock piece. probably not a big deal to most guys, but it mattered to me at the time. That car is sold and I'm not as "obsessive" about the GN I have now. ;)

so u are saying that u are supposed to put the lotek piece on top of the factory trim piece is that the reason people are seeing metal on the sides and saying that this piece doesnt fit well?

the wrath
I would say yes to your question. It fits much better as an overlay with no gaps on the sides. When I installed it without the factory trim piece it was very loose fitting and there were gaps on both sides that you could see wiring and the metal framework. Also, my factory piece was pretty butchered up with caveman holes in the trim where the wires and nylon tube were run to the old single gauge. Thanks for the compliments.

Patrick

I have the lotec 3 gauge one on my GN. It fits fine except for the outside edge as mentioned above. Nobody even notices except me. Still getting used to it.

I am reconsidering however, because the gauges are small and stupid me, I wanted to see the boost gauge in my face. Unfortunatley, unless it's on the hood, I cannot keep track of it and watch the road...

Here's a pic

DSCN1042.jpg

Why not switch your boost with your oil? It might make it easier to see it while driving?

I have the lotek tripple gauge installed in my GN and it looks good, but I did have to use a factory piece underneath to make it look good. If you are worried about being able to return your car to stock, simply go to the junkyard and get an a pilar piece out of any G body as they are all the same, and paint it to match your color interior. That way you can take your original off and store it away and still have a finished look.

pics?

my85grandnation: how did you stack two pillars? I gotta see this. Sounds like what I need to do.

Let me find the pic I have of it and I will see if it shows it good enough. If not I will try and take a pic this weekednd that does. What I did is install the stock a pillar and cut the top of it off where it meets the ceiling leaving just the part that covers the pillar and completly removing the part that goes along the roof. I then put the lotek pillar over the stock one and moved it till it lined up and looked good. Then all I had to do is drill holes into the a pillar that lined up with the holes on the lotek pillar and install the screws. I did have to trim the loteck pillar just a little up top to get the metal trim piece that goes along the roof to slide onto it like it would on the factory piece.

I just received my three gauge pod. I ordered mine from Southeast Turbo Performance (www.seturbo.com). I'm have the same fitment issues along the edges. I'm gonna try and find an a pillar out of another g-body, drill some holes for the wires and mounting then maybe glue or double sided tape the gauge pod to it so its one rigid unit. I'll post pics when I get around to it.