Installing new valve cover gasket/sealant?

XFactor

Changing my VC gaskets. I'm using a tube of gasket sealant (Tack and seal) to position the gasket. Is there a particular type sealant that I should be using? There were about 4 different types to choose from.

Now when I apply the sealant, I know I run a bead along the bottom side of the VC to hold and position the gasket. Do also place another bead on the surface of the gasket that attaches to the head too???

Just want to make sure I do everything right the first time.

I've had good luck with...

spray Permatec. It's red when sprayed. Spray on both sides of gasket and on valve cover rim. Let get tacky(few minutes). Place gasket in valve cover groove. Install on head. Torque to specs and no more. Most important, everything must be clean!
HTH, CaptRob

VC gaskets

I replaced my vc gaskets last week, and still dry, no leaks.

Use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive, part # 051135-08001.

Place some of this on the valve cover and gasket, let dry 5 mins.

Do not put any adhesive on the gasket and head, make sure its clean and torque the bolts on snug.

I used Felpro rubber gaskets, part # VS 50156 R

James

Very interesting responses... None of which I have ever heard or used in my 11+ years of working on these things.
For what it's worth, I'll give my method, which has always worked well for me and others I've helped.

Use a good Black Hi-Temp RTV silicone, that is rated "sensor safe". I've always been partial to Permatex 598B.
I use a Fel-Pro rubber gasket, PN VS50156R. I would not ever use crappy cork styles again!
And DO NOT put any sort of silicone or sealant on the head surface! There is absolutely no need to do that, and you'll simply run a risk of getting contaminants in your oil, etc!
Clean both surfaces thoroughly, meaning - take your time and get them spotless. Then apply a moderate bead of RTV around the bottom of the VC, and spread it evenly across the areas that you'll lay the gasket on. (I just use a clean finger). Then lay the gasket on, position it accordingly, and you're done! Let it sit for about an hour before going to install, if you can spare the time.
Simple stuff, and leak free! The rubber gasket can be used through numerous VC removals too.

Thanks, but.......................wondering why are there different color sealants. Black, white, red, blue, and even yellow! When applied you can't see the stuff.

J's method and mine are very very similar, except for one glaring detail ;)

He likes rubber gaskets. I prefer cork. Sounds like we've both had years of trouble free VC gaskets.

No, my cork gaskets never leak either.

The different colors of rtv correspond to different temperature ratings, Red (or Orange) - Blue - Black - and Clear highest to lowest temperature rating. The clear isn't acceptable for engine related jobs, the rest are fine. The 3M stuff is an adhesive - not a sealant, but works GREAT for holding the gasket to the cover. As noted above, only apply to the valvecover side, whichever stuff you use.