Installed a 5 inch RJC Racing downpipe, but some problems

qws2000

pics of down pipe 065.jpg
As above states I did install a 5 inch D/P.... It looks great, but I had to back off the rod like 4 turns so it would reach the turbo/waste gate. Last night I had the car out and it seemed like there was so much pressure, in fact it blew the bottom clamp off the front mount intercooler.

Attachments

• pics of down pipe 064.jpg
    pics of down pipe 064.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 356
youve got alignment issues and im not sure you're at a level of mechanical ability that i can explain this to you

Paul, how can you see I have alignment problem, car just had one about two weeks ago....maybe in small boy terms what's happening

wheres the slapping your hand on your head emoticon in disbelief when you need it

simple terms
your wastegate arm is crooked and its binding the internal spring
how to fix it Ill leave up to you

did you have to trimm your plastic inner fenderwell?? also did you have to clearance the pass floor boards to get this pipe to fit?

JM

Your actuator arm is extremely crooked. It's never gonna work like that. The pipe was designed for HUGE horsepower cars that more then likely run computer controlled gates. A 3 or 3.5 pipe would have the arm higher and it would align much better. Your gonna have to cut the actuator off the bracket, and align it...then have it welded again.

How much tension is on the gate? I had mine at a tight angle like that and it was fine

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

How much tension is on the gate? I had mine at a tight angle like that and it was fine

His best bet would be to align it correctly and then try it. That rod is designed to work in a straight line or a slight angle...but no where near that angle. Mine was off from my 3 to my 3.5 and I drilled out the welds and aligned it...and welded it again. The rod slides onto the gate arm with ease now...and works great. We have too much $$$ invested in our cars to take even a small risk.

I agree, just wondering if he has more tension on the gate now this causing his problem not the angle. It could be both

Coach, Well the angel was the same for the 3, and it worked fine.. When we put this monster on we had to turn the rod 4 or 5 turns out to make it work... My question of concern is why did it blow off the rubber (from turbo to intercooler).. It was under boost about 20ish

Coach, Well the angel was the same for the 3, and it worked fine.. When we put this monster on we had to turn the rod 4 or 5 turns out to make it work... My question of concern is why did it blow off the rubber (from turbo to intercooler).. It was under boost about 20ish

Could have just been that ho's (or hose's) time.

The DP has nothing to do with your problems. Probably just need to check the clamps every now and then. I checked mine and had to snug them all up after a few months. Also, your turbo compressor housing is clocked down a bit. You could get a better angle on your wastegate rod if you go clocked the outlet of the compressor housing up a bit however at the expense of your IC piping/hoses not lining up correctly. It's a balancing act.