Information on gnttype.org wrong?

dpok69

Dpok69@aol.com
On the buick gnttype.org transmission guide , the tag says CR F, but according to people i talked to, including Bruce, that is wrong. It's supposed to read BR F on the tag. The C stands for Chevy, and the B for Buick. Another tip i got is that on the servo the last two digits should say 94.

My trans read like this# CZ F, and the # is 319-86zcrf-1009. This is obviously the wrong transmission and i thought it was the cause of my failing transmissions. Rebuilt three time in a 6 month period under warranty by the trans shop. Now its going onto the 4th rebuilt. By talking to Art Cart transmission, i found out that it does not matter what 2004r you have, the transmission is not supposed to fail quickly. The only thing is it will not shift like the BRF model. What they do is they do the modifications to bring out the right shift points which would make it equivalent to the brf models.

Suggestions i got were to do a pressure test on on my trans and to flush out trans lines.

Yes, over time I have found a few things that are not correct too, for instance, the jb weld or silicone filter closed. This is horrible advice!!! Should be deleted. And the funny thing is I get asked about it alot. "Well the digest says it so it must be law" will get you into trouble every time. :) ( Don't believe everything you read!)

This gentlemen did the right thing..... he researched it.

( And the"C" does not correlate to Chevy necessarily as Caddys are AA. It was just coincedence that Buicks are B and Chevy this time happens to be C )

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

Originally posted by WE4

( And the"C" does not correlate to Chevy necessarily as Caddys are AA. It was just coincedence that Buicks are B and Chevy this time happens to be C )

That is strange, as a popular transmission in the Oldsmobiles was OG. :p

so why is it bad to seal the crimped edge on the Tranny filter?
I've done that on my last 2 filters.

David
87GN

For the non reading challenged, the second sentence of the gnttype.org page states that BRF is the model of the turbo Regal tranny. The picture is merely a generic drawing used to illustrate the location of various bits of information.

Mike Kurtz and many other builders have been sealing the crimps for years. Perhaps it is either a matter of opinion or Bruce is using a filter that needs no sealing. Either way, I would not panic over whatever is currently in there.

Crimping no problem if desired but what I was referring to was guys call and ask about siliconing or jb welding it closed. When asked "where did you hear this" they reply "it is on the gnttype .org list.

Crimping no problem, however now there are better ways or filters should I say.

:)
:D
Bruce
We4
www.PTSnctb.com

Not everyone is highly educated as u Steve. :mad:

It would have been great if they had a sentence there that said the "the picture is not actual, but is used to illustrate" BRF is spit around like its used in everday language.

If u have a grand national would you have a monte carlo to "merely" illustrate your car?!?!

No need for insults in here, nothing is stupid when in doubt!
:mad:

"dpok69 wrote"

"My trans read like this# CZ F, and the # is 319-86zcrf-1009"

That is the right code and trans for a 86 Monte ss . Some weinee at factory must have had wrong order of stamp cause if you reverse the zc it all corresponds to a Monte SS ...

Bruce
We4
www.PTSnctb.com

From the beginning of the gnttype.org page on Tranny infromation

<The Turbo Regals were equipped with the TurboHydramatic 350 from 1979 to 1984 and the THM200-4R from 1984-1987, The strongest and most sought after versions are the "BR" versions that were installed in the 1986/87 cars.

They had the unique BRF valve body (identifiable by the BR3 and pink paint on the valve body.) THM200-4R transmissions have an ID tag on them as shown in the following diagram:>

Get the same neighbor that read my post for you to read this one. :)

Figures, u missed the whole point.

I finally got my tranny swapped with another tranny. And now things are running great.