in the market for GN

mikex

ok heres the deal guys. i have a 72 torino that someone has made a good offer on and have decided that if he comes through with the money i want to pick up a GN. What do i lookout for in these cars. are there any problems that are catastrophic with these vehicles. Also will this be a good car for a daily driver. Please help me cause i have found one in wahington and im from texas but more than willing to tow it back. so if you know a deal close to you let me know whats up. thanks in advance and dont hate me cause im not an original gm boy

first off, they are great daily drivers, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. obviously they need more attention and maintenece than a newer car, but its worth it. i got one of the TR's (87GN) two summer ago with 153k on it. it now has 190k on it and still runs and drives perfectly. when looking at the car, make sure you do a compression test, you should get around 150 per cylinder, and make sure to check all of them as just checking some is useless. also watch out for cars with mods and make sure they were done correctly. if you are looking to get one as a daily driver, id go for a mostly stock car like i did, then mod it as you see fit. this way you can get it running right in stcok tune and make sure its safe to put some mods on.. when you drive it, make sure the tranny shifts firm and the converter locks up at about 43-45 mph. if it does not, then the current owner has been drving with the TCC unplugged, and this is not a good thing. there are many other things to look for and im sure other guys will chime in with some good info, but this should give you a starting point......HTH

also, feel free to put some info about the car up, such as mileage, price, mods and we can give you a better idea of what kind of deal your getting.