In the Market for a Battery

Will Rhoades

My old battery died on me after 6yrs. I guess I can't complain. It was an interstate mega tron plus. I have tried doing a search for the best batteries but I haven't found a whole lot of up to date suggestions. I am currently running a hotwired XP FP. Alky control, and have an aftermarket radio with a mild amp and 10 in the trunk. Any recommendations?

6 years is great on a battery. Why not buy another Interstate? They are a very good battery brand.

I have a lot of electronics on my GN, so I went with an AGM battery: Odyssey battery 0753-2035. I did pay for it though: $260 or so 3 years ago.

In retrospect though, I would have probably been fine with a good lead acid Interstate.

If you want to go high tech, a user went with a new Lithium Ion battery which can save a lot of weight if you are into that.

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/shorai-battery-install.456790/

6 years is awesome. From what I've seen lately batteries die after 4 on average.

I get mine from Wal*Mart or Advance Auto Parts, whichever is cheaper at the time.

Just ordered a optima red top 8022-091 to replace the one that was in the Gn 12 years Bet the new one won't make it that long

6 years is great on a battery. Why not buy another Interstate? They are a very good battery brand.

I have a lot of electronics on my GN, so I went with an AGM battery: Odyssey battery 0753-2035. I did pay for it though: $260 or so 3 years ago.

In retrospect though, I would have probably been fine with a good lead acid Interstate.

If you want to go high tech, a user went with a new Lithium Ion battery which can save a lot of weight if you are into that.

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/shorai-battery-install.456790/
What electronics are you running? Are you happy with your battery?

What electronics are you running? Are you happy with your battery?
My electronics include a pretty rocking stereo system with Infinity Amp, 6 speakers, and Dual 12 inch subs, car alarm, GPS tracker, and then the normal Buick aftermarket stuff like a hotwired Walbro 450, TR6, Powerlogger, Alky pump, etc, etc.

I am happy with the battery...I barely think about it now since I have had no issues. It just works. If the car sits for awhile, I do put the battery on a trickle charger designed for AGM batteries.

My electronics include a pretty rocking stereo system with Infinity Amp, 6 speakers, and Dual 12 inch subs, car alarm, GPS tracker, and then the normal Buick aftermarket stuff like a hotwired Walbro 450, TR6, Powerlogger, Alky pump, etc, etc.

I am happy with the battery...I barely think about it now since I have had no issues. It just works. If the car sits for awhile, I do put the battery on a trickle charger designed for AGM batteries.

That sounds good. I was looking at one Summit Racing stocks since I live so close and have store credit there. They have basically the same specs on another honda odysssey battery except it's about 3/4 of an inch taller. I think I'll have to go with the exact fit.

I just bought an Auto Zone gold battery. I think it cost $170 or so. My '87 T has a chip that keeps the fan running for +/- 10 minutes after shutting down the engine. I don't know how much that drains the battery, but it does get annoying. On the other hand, it is nice knowing that a lot of heat sink is being removed.

If you do buy an Odyssey battery, do not get it from Amazon. Odyssey is particular on their vendors and warranty coverage. Before I bought mine, I read stories of users that bought from Amazon and the battery was not covered.

My Buick has only had A/C Delco batteries in it since I purchase it 31 years ago.not counting the original, I'm on my 4th one.
This last battery has been in my car for 7 years, it does stay plug into a battery tender at all time, so maybe that does help
the longevity. And I as well run a couple of Quality Amplifiers. I only got almost 4 years out of the original one, but still have
the core, so if I ever want to get it rebuilt.

Just ordered a optima red top 8022-091 to replace the one that was in the Gn 12 years Bet the new one won't make it that long

It probably won’t. Interstate was all I used. They sold out (or are now made in Mexico) which really affected their performance. I did some pretty extensive research last year when my battery died and the best was Deka Intimadator. AGM. Made in PA I believe. Advance Auto parts relabels it and sells it under their name. That is what I bought. Had a red top for years before that. Lots of negatives on the web regarding the new red tops.
The AC Delco is sounding good from the posts on here.