Ignition switch?

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
Got a call today from a friend with 87 Buick. He replaced the starter because it was just clicking. New mini starter does the same thing. He said he jumped the battery terminal to the S terminal and car starts and runs normally. He wants me to fix it and he's bringing it up here next Sat.

So I need to get my **** togther by then I would think since it jumps at the starter that would rule out the batt cable,battery and alt.

He thinks the purple wire that goes to the S terminal isn't carrying enough amps to fully engage the solnoid on the starter.

I am thinking he has a bad ignition switch. I won't have the car until next weekend,but I am looking for some opinions on what the guru's think.

Thanks in advance.

if the other suggestion does not work try this. Cut the purple wire at the key switch and leave enough to add on new wire. The run a new length of 10 gauge to replace the factory purple wire.

use your DVOM and measure the voltage at the s terminal of the solenoid, it should be close to battery voltage, if not go to the ignition switch and remeasure and see if you have any voltage drop on that circuit,if it is the same,(less than 12volts)you have a problem in the circuit wiring not the switch.if it close to battery voltage I would start looking at the system grounds.

Fred

Thanks for the replys,just to clarify it's an RWD TR.

He called yesterday afternoon and says that with the key in held in the start position he get s 12v at the purple wire for a moment then nothing. As long as the key is held in the start position 12v should be there at all times.