If I drop the oil pan will the

ROTTWEILER

If I drop the oil pan will I be able to see the the timing chain tensioner? Not sure if there is one, believe the motor had a double roller installed and I'm now worried a tensioner may have been used with it. I read somewhere on TB the double roller will grind it up. Pulling the pan seems alot easier than removing thr front cover. Any advice you guys offer will be appreciated.
Thanks

If I drop the oil pan will I be able to see the the timing chain tensioner? Not sure if there is one, believe the motor had a double roller installed and I'm now worried a tensioner may have been used with it. I read somewhere on TB the double roller will grind it up. Pulling the pan seems alot easier than removing thr front cover. Any advice you guys offer will be appreciated.
Thanks

You cant see the tensioner from below

obviously I don't have a double roller, but as you can see where the chain tensioner is located I doubt you will be able to see it even with a mirror going through the cam sensor opening.

Attachments

• Picture 095.jpg
    Picture 095.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 190
Thanks for a quick reply turbo89, guess I have some work to do real
Thanks for a quick reply turbo89, guess I have some work to do real soon.

I take that back.. after looking more carefully you may actually see the tensioner from below.. there is a gap between the cover and maincap that I think you actually can see it .. I will have a motor apart in the next day or so.. I will take some pictures

so, if you use a double roller you must not use a tensioner??

Curious as I keep asking questions to the guy that did a frame off resto on my car years and years ago and he keeps answering and when I asked about the cam he said 212/212 and double roller....

Thanks

Go through the Cam sensor hole... its visible

so, if you use a double roller you must not use a tensioner??

Curious as I keep asking questions to the guy that did a frame off resto on my car years and years ago and he keeps answering and when I asked about the cam he said 212/212 and double roller....

A double roller will eat the tensioner... doesn't take long either

Yeah it just happened to me. I second that you can see it from the cam sensor hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you take the pan down, and the tensioner is eaten up, it'll likely be in the pan.....

ON MY MOTOR THE TENSIONER CAN NOT BE SEEN THROUGH THE CAM SENSOR HOLE NOR THE FUEL PUMP PROVISION, I HAD TO REMOVE THE FRONT COVER. I DO HAVE A DOUBLE ROLLER CHAIN AND A TENSIONER, ========= THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY IS PERFECT, NOW WHAT DO I DO? REPLACE IT , REMOVE JUST THE TENSIONER AND LEAVE THE CHAIN, OR LEAVE IT AS IT IS. WILL POST PHOTOS TOMORROW, OUT OF TIME TONITE. I KNOW THERE ARE ALOT OF NAYSAYERS ON DOUBLE ROLLERS AND TENSIONERS BUT THE PICS ARE, WELL MAYBE I WAS LUCKY. I'VE HAD THIS MOTOR IN THE CAR SINCE 1998 - 1999. PROBABLY 200 1/4 MILE PASSES ON IT TOO.

ON MY MOTOR THE TENSIONER CAN NOT BE SEEN THROUGH THE CAM SENSOR HOLE NOR THE FUEL PUMP PROVISION, I HAD TO REMOVE THE FRONT COVER. I DO HAVE A DOUBLE ROLLER CHAIN AND A TENSIONER, ========= THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY IS PERFECT, NOW WHAT DO I DO? REPLACE IT , REMOVE JUST THE TENSIONER AND LEAVE THE CHAIN, OR LEAVE IT AS IT IS. WILL POST PHOTOS TOMORROW, OUT OF TIME TONITE. I KNOW THERE ARE ALOT OF NAYSAYERS ON DOUBLE ROLLERS AND TENSIONERS BUT THE PICS ARE, WELL MAYBE I WAS LUCKY. I'VE HAD THIS MOTOR IN THE CAR SINCE 1998 - 1999. PROBABLY 200 1/4 MILE PASSES ON IT TOO.

For the next guy... maybe I should have been clearer .. through the Cam sensor hole you can see the chain .. whether you see the actual tensioner or not .. you can still see that side of the chain... if there is no tensioner you will see the chain move when you spin the crank one way then the other .. ( slack - no slack)
you can use this to gauge whether the tensioner is there or not.