I wanna go fast

'82turboGN

Guys im really sitting on the fence here. Im 17 years old and my dad told me he'd help me get myself a new car if i did well in school. Ive got a couple people pushing me to go turbo ls but i was really wanting a stage 2 car. I dont street race. I keep my passes on the track so what i need out of this car is something that can go mid 9's on race tune and tens on street tune. Here comes the tricky part...DURABILITY! I drive my current buick to school every day and i need something that will conservatively run the et's i previously posted. Everyone is telling me the ls motors are the way to go if you want durability and that the buicks are just possessed, which i have ample first hand experience in. Basically...can you run a buick in the nines without having to wrench every day? Or is the turbo ls motors the way to go? Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Turbo LS and forget about it. Stage 2 will cost double or maybe even triple the $$$.

Stock LS truck engine, stock crank, good rods and pistons, some out of the box cylinder heads. Easy 9's on boost.

If I were in your shoes, keep the Buick as-is, fix the tranny slip though. Get a C5 Corvette instead. It should be fairly reliable through college. Then after college and have money in the bank in your retirement fund etc, build it to go 9's. Don't get married until you're 30 if you want to spend money on cars, because a 15K engine build will cost you a lot more to keep the wife happy, especially if she's used to getting stuff from Tiffany's...

Well i appreciate the comments but i should have said this from the start. I know where an on center stage 2 nascar motor with 6 bolt mains, oil pan to turbo, running is for sale at 15 grand. Comes with a complete turbo 400. Essentially its a high 8 second complete drivetrain. Im just worried about the durability for using a radical 8 second beast as my get to school ride. Durable or not if its detuned to mid 9's? Probably going to do this in a couple weeks but i also am looking at a high 9 second turbo ls trans am for 17 grand. Not gonna lie i love the buick and am really interested in it but i need a daily driver. Thanks and please do reply because i feel stupid asking if 8 and 9 second cars are going to be reliable.

Want a reliable 9 second car???? Save your pennies and buy a Bugatti! Sorry to burst your bubble kid but you are not going to build a reliable 9 second daily driver. Anyone on this board will tell you that when you go that fast parts WILL break or wear out. Put a 15K 800+ wheel HP motor and trans in your ride then you'll have to do driveshaft, rear axles, u-joints....$3500 roll cage, 5 points, chute, extinguisher, shutoffs, trans shield, etc. and the list goes on and on.

I'm with the guy who said save your money...

Someone had to set him straight!

Already made up my mind. And fgollatz, why dont you sell me your car for 10 grand or so and ill have it boosted in a week and we'll all be happy...especially me:) haha thanks guys and i know you cant build a completely reliable 9 second car. I was just asking which of the two was more reliable. Anyways thanks guys and i look forward to recieving more of your wisdom.

Oh btw, who wants a fishmouth bugatti? If i had a million or two laying around Id rather have a turbo limited in every color. Plus im 6'6" so fitting in a bugatti is a little tough.

Everyone is going to have an opinion about building a 9 second reliable street car. In my opinion you can have a reliable 9 second ride.
LQ4 block, rods & pistons. You can go low 10's or high 9's easy! Finding a good tuner will be the key!

A boosted LS motor will make 9 second power on pump gas all day and you dont have to break the bank to do it.

Oh btw, who wants a fishmouth bugatti? If i had a million or two laying around Id rather have a turbo limited in every color. Plus im 6'6" so fitting in a bugatti is a little tough.
Could not agree more. The Bugatti is ugly. It's not a 9 second car although it does trap at around 140 mph. I dont think even an LS setup is going to be problem free.

[QUOTE='82turboGN]Guys im really sitting on the fence here....[/QUOTE]

Pick up an L98 Iroc-Z or Trans Am for cheap, invest in some forged pistons, forged rods, and a forged crank, port out the entire stock TPI setup, get a cheap Summit Racing cam kit, and port out the stock heads. You'll need a decent tranny when all is said and done, so swap that 700R4 for a strong 200R4 w/adapter plate for the bell housing, not to mention a decent converter. Get your injectors, turbo headers and turbo. Nine's won't be a problem....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUOi908RLe4[/youtube]

.... here is an old article for a ten second recipe, but I'm sure you get the idea;

1992 Pontiac Firebird - 10.7s for $6,500

Well i appreciate the comments but i should have said this from the start. I know where an on center stage 2 nascar motor with 6 bolt mains, oil pan to turbo, running is for sale at 15 grand. Comes with a complete turbo 400. Essentially its a high 8 second complete drivetrain. Im just worried about the durability for using a radical 8 second beast as my get to school ride. Durable or not if its detuned to mid 9's? Probably going to do this in a couple weeks but i also am looking at a high 9 second turbo ls trans am for 17 grand. Not gonna lie i love the buick and am really interested in it but i need a daily driver. Thanks and please do reply because i feel stupid asking if 8 and 9 second cars are going to be reliable.

A nascar motor with a turbo???? It's either a nascar motor with really high compression and pistons not designed for boost or it's an ex-nascar motor that has been converted to work with boost.

Internal or external oiling system? If it's a dry sump motor you can expect to spend several more thousand $$ on an oil system.

Oops my bad. I could be wrong. I was told that the stage 2 motors with the 6 bolt mains were old nascar motors. You know them better than me. The one thing i do know is when i do get this car running it'll be with your converter! :biggrin:

Oops my bad. I could be wrong. I was told that the stage 2 motors with the 6 bolt mains were old nascar motors. You know them better than me. The one thing i do know is when i do get this car running it'll be with your converter! :biggrin:

:biggrin:

Do ALOT of research on the Stage 2 stuff before jumping in. 15 grand is high. It would have to be a top notch Stage 2 motor running with all new internals like Crower components, with the proper rods and pistons for boost, headers, turbo, oiling system and intake to oil pan before I would even consider it.

A Stage 2 motor straight out of the machine shop for a carb set-up like the round track guys used may be worth 7,000. Big difference between the 2.

The LS engine could run 9's on pump gas and drive anywhere in the country. The V6 can as well but for 2x or 3x the price.

Stage II motor

A nascar motor with a turbo???? It's either a nascar motor with really high compression and pistons not designed for boost or it's an ex-nascar motor that has been converted to work with boost.

Internal or external oiling system? If it's a dry sump motor you can expect to spend several more thousand $$ on an oil system.

Dusty i have a rare stage II motor,it has the internal oil system its like the 3.8 motors with the pump in the timing chane cover.if the price was right i sell mine.

My two cents. If you want to go fast you have to have 2 cars. One to drive and one to break. I'd either get another buick roller or a 3rd gen camaro and build an ls combo. It can be done the right way for cheap and be fairly reliable once complete.

Dusty i have a rare stage II motor,it has the internal oil system its like the 3.8 motors with the pump in the timing chane cover.if the price was right i sell mine.

Yep. I've seen them. That's why I'm pointing out he needs to do some research. If the motor he was describing is externally oiled it's more $$$$ to make it work.

Stage II

I know Dusty the dry sump motors are big $$$$ to do for the oil system thats why i went this way, theres a few guy up here that have them.