I noticed something while doing a trans fluid change.. Don't know if its normal

pvtpilot

2LT USAF
I was down at my brothers shop and did a trans fluid change using one of the machines that puts fluid trough the trans (at the trans cooler lines) to flush the trans and then fill it when done. Well as the machine was running the trans fluid wasn't coming out of the return line (line from trans to cooler) smoothly at all. The fluid was coming out in spurts and not at all continuously. My brother hasn't seen this happen before. Is there anything wrong with my trans?? :confused:

Sediment & filter

Never heard of that method of changing oil in a transmission, thought that was just used to flush the in-radiator cooler.

There is no way you can get the crap that accumulates on the bottom of the trannie oil pan and around the magnet without pulling the pan. You need to pull the pan anyway to change the filter.

It works the same way as the coolant flush. You disconnect the lines going to the trans cooler and hook up the 2 hoses from the machine to the trans lines. Press the button and it pumps about 16 qts (20 in my case) through the trans and collects it from the line that goes to the trans cooler. It was a good temporary fix utill I get the time to get a new filter and do it right (I was actually there installing my new hooker exhaust :D ) It did do a good job.. went from pretty nasty to clean. I was just worried about the pump in the trans (if there is one that pumps fluid through the cooler.. I just know how to check the fluid and put them in gear :eek: ) it appeared to be pretty lazy and flowed very unevenly. I can't come up with a good analogy. Any other comments??

AHHHHHH...................

Tell you what? You willing to do a test? I think I know whats wrong. Next time you do this.... try this. And you will need to do it again, please?

Put car on jackstands. Run up to high gear (4th) and lock the converter. Bet it flows like an alcoholic drink into Ted Kennedy's body. :D

This is a perfect example how a cooler doesnt flow fully till converter is locked. I would LOVE to see you do this again, and if it costs money, I will pay for it to get the results.

Let me know personally please......:D

Bruce
WE4

Bruce
Next time I'm at the shop I'll give it a shot and report back. Just keep it mind if I ever need some trans parts/work done ;) . Thanks for the info.. I was kinda worried that something was shot in the trans.

Ted Kennedy?

Bruce, now you're talking about bleeding heart, horny liberals on the trannie section. Is nothing sacred?

Good analogy though!

If you are right, that means that the cooler is not doing its job at the time when it is most needed.