I need some ideas for a new system

GNAT87

What are guys doing without concert sound? You can hardly hear my music when in my car without the deck on 50.

I want to keep my pretty new pioneer deck. Two dash speakers are JL for now but i think passenger side is blown. Sounds okay on 20 but when you bump it up you here static, any idea? Speakers in the back are stock.

Anyway, all I listen to is rock so I dont want any subs or anything. What im looking for is loud and clear like the Bose in my truck....or close atleast;)

Oh yeah and without spending a small fortune. Im just trying to make the car more enjoyable to cruise in.

That lower door panel from gbodyparts looks pretty nice. If you want real clean sound you shound check out Eclipse for their speakers. They sound real clean even with a stock deck and you have an aftermarket so you're set. I don't think they make 4x10's anymore but they do make 6x9's that you can run with a 4x10 to 6x9 adapter. You should check out your local stereo shop to have a listen.

car audio is where most of my time was spent before TurboBuick forums! If you're looking to go reaaaaaaal sweet, check out Focal. THeir "Access" (intro) line can be bought on ebay for <$200 but they sing incredibly. You should have depth clearance, too. As far as the back, get something "in budget." by this i mean dont spend too much, as rear deck speakers are just for fill. I dont even use them, because for sound imaging you are to imitate how a concert would sound if you there there ...the band isnt behind you, so you therefore dont use rear speakers! Subs in the trunk, however, do help a great deal with bottom-end. Those Focals are known to be very bright, and if you want a full sound you should go with some subwoofers. I wouldnt recommend anything more than two 10" subs. For these, check into a pair of JL Audio w3. They can get going pretty good. If you were looking to go high-end and run your components off an amp and everything, let me know. I have one that would be perfect for you. I also have some other misc. car-audio stuff so if theres anything specific you're looking for just ask and i'll try and find it!

p.s. - if these brand weren't what you were looking for or were outta your price range some others to consider would be infinity kappas for components, and Kicker subs, with the same basic idea

I have exactly what kTrain describes and the sound is SICK!! I do have a competition deck so I have to run an external amp to run everything but damn. I have 6.5" Focals in the doors in custom lower door panels and I put the tweets in the dash firing up towards the windshield. Yes, they are super bright but I have adjustable crossovers and a Phoenix Gold SQ amp so we were able to tune it in just right. I am pretty sure I am going to be deaf soon because it sounds so good and clean I end up cranking it all the time. The JL 10" subs are the ticket. If you do go with subs in the trunk, make sure you budget for some Dynamat. I have over 40 square feet in the trunk alone. The trunk is HUGE. I don't have any rear speaker either. Just two 10" subs and the 6.5" focal mids in the doors and the tweets in the dash.

OK, I admit this is not a system for the budget minded becasue I spent big bucks for a fairly simple system but that is the beauty of it. It is simple but still killer.

Thanks all for the input! I'm doing my best to keep the interior as stock as I can. I know without the concert sound style door speakers it's going to be hard to get what I want. Would it sound okay and be loud enough if I replaced the two dash speakers and the two 4x10's(with 6x9) and ran a small amp to them. Then maybe in the future go with a kicker solobaric 8" if needed. Just really trying to stay away from speaker boxes at the moment

I have exactly what kTrain describes and the sound is SICK!! I do have a competition deck so I have to run an external amp to run everything but damn. I have 6.5" Focals in the doors in custom lower door panels and I put the tweets in the dash firing up towards the windshield. Yes, they are super bright but I have adjustable crossovers and a Phoenix Gold SQ amp so we were able to tune it in just right. I am pretty sure I am going to be deaf soon because it sounds so good and clean I end up cranking it all the time. The JL 10" subs are the ticket. If you do go with subs in the trunk, make sure you budget for some Dynamat. I have over 40 square feet in the trunk alone. The trunk is HUGE. I don't have any rear speaker either. Just two 10" subs and the 6.5" focal mids in the doors and the tweets in the dash.

OK, I admit this is not a system for the budget minded becasue I spent big bucks for a fairly simple system but that is the beauty of it. It is simple but still killer.

that's whats up;)

Thanks all for the input! I'm doing my best to keep the interior as stock as I can. I know without the concert sound style door speakers it's going to be hard to get what I want. Would it sound okay and be loud enough if I replaced the two dash speakers and the two 4x10's(with 6x9) and ran a small amp to them. Then maybe in the future go with a kicker solobaric 8" if needed. Just really trying to stay away from speaker boxes at the moment

yeah, you can still get a good sound out of this. DLS makes some 3.5" speakers you could put on the dash, and they are VERY top notch along with the Focal, CDT Audio, Rainbows, etc. As far as the backs - i'd buy some pre-fab 6x9 speaker boxes and use those. This will be better for you because they sit atop the rear deck and actually face foreward, so the sound is directed towards you. And if you're going to go with 8's for subs, i would recommend at LEAST two. One 10" would def. still be a better idea than two 8" though IMO

Focal is one of the better speaker brands out there period. Another brand to look at that directly competes against Focal is Morel. Both brands are not really "bang for the buck" kind of brands. I would highly recommend either one of them. Focal-more detail higher top end, smaller sweet spot. Morel-Smoother sound, less efficient.

If you are looking at more "bang for your buck" kind of brands, look at JL Audio and Diamond. Again two really solid speaker lines, that can sound pretty darn good if matched up with the right system.

IMHO I wouldnt try to face the rear speakers directly towards you. It causes the sound to be too directional, and can "beam" the tweeters right at your ears and cause listener fatigue. Especially if you are going to go with a speaker that uses a "metal" tweeter, like Focal. Rear speakers are supposedly used for rear fill only anyways. Again this is just my opinion, and not trying to argue with anyone.

Im also not a huge fan of 8" woofers for subs. Just not big enough, and cant move enough air for "real" bass. I would at least go with a 10" driver for your sub.

Again another one of my opinions, stay away from Kicker. Their Solarbaric subwoofers are decent if you are looking for an SPL woofer, but they are not musical at all. Also they need a refigerator sized ported box to maximize their potential.

Some subwoofers that I like that are reasonably priced, and are musical, and can pound if needed: JL W6, Alpine Type X, JBL GTI. Theres more out there, just 3 that came to mind first.

FuzzyGN said the magic word: DYNAMAT-best damm tweak that most people overlook

If you need any other help, just let me know. I work in the audio industry, and everything I wrote above comes from experience, and not something I just read online like most people. Good luck with your search.

"Focal is one of the better speaker brands out there period. Another brand to look at that directly competes against Focal is Morel. Both brands are not really "bang for the buck" kind of brands. I would highly recommend either one of them. Focal-more detail higher top end, smaller sweet spot. Morel-Smoother sound, less efficient."
good point. Morel is top notch stuff with CDT, DLS, Rainbow, etc. but the Focals will be a MUCH better choice because those bright highs are what your speaker will need to produce in order for you to hear it over road noise or a nice exhaust system, which our cars usually have.

"If you are looking at more "bang for your buck" kind of brands, look at JL Audio and Diamond. Again two really solid speaker lines, that can sound pretty darn good if matched up with the right system."
JL is def. not a "bang for your buck", sorry to challenge your authority. the ZR series are like $800 and are LESS superior than a Focal k2P which can be purchased for half that. JL's XR line (next one down) is in the $400 range, but a Focal Access (<$200) will still outperform it IMO.

"Im also not a huge fan of 8" woofers for subs. Just not big enough, and cant move enough air for "real" bass. I would at least go with a 10" driver for your sub."
agreed/stated already.

"Again another one of my opinions, stay away from Kicker. Their Solarbaric subwoofers are decent if you are looking for an SPL woofer, but they are not musical at all. Also they need a refigerator sized ported box to maximize their potential."
Kicker isn't that bad. Many people hate on them because most of the people who use them are the high school kids who want the loudest but not best SQ system, or real gangsta ass homies who put like twelve 15" subs in their suburban lol. In reality though, an L5 or L7 can and will produce nice tight, clean bass. My friend has two 10" in a sealed box and they get obnoxiously loud, but still produce a nice clean sound.

"Some subwoofers that I like that are reasonably priced, and are musical, and can pound if needed: JL W6, Alpine Type X, JBL GTI. Theres more out there, just 3 that came to mind first."
JL w3 will work fine. w6 is overkill IMO especially if you're not lookin for rap/hip-hop sound. screw alpine and JBL, these are mainstream brands you can buy at Pep Boys these days (even though Kicker is just as bad). JL, mmats, Kicker are the best brands to stick with that you can come by fairly easily. If you wanna know about some underground stuff, BOY do i have equipment for you!

kTrainHurricane;2139940]
"Focal is one of the better speaker brands out there period. Another brand to look at that directly competes against Focal is Morel. Both brands are not really "bang for the buck" kind of brands. I would highly recommend either one of them. Focal-more detail higher top end, smaller sweet spot. Morel-Smoother sound, less efficient."
good point. Morel is top notch stuff with CDT, DLS, Rainbow, etc. but the Focals will be a MUCH better choice because those bright highs are what your speaker will need to produce in order for you to hear it over road noise or a nice exhaust system, which our cars usually have. You are right to consider road noise when deciding which speakers to choose. Also you have very good taste in speakers. One thing that both Morel and Focal do, that "most" other brands dont do, is manufacture and build all their own drivers. "If you are looking at more "bang for your buck" kind of brands, look at JL Audio and Diamond. Again two really solid speaker lines, that can sound pretty darn good if matched up with the right system."
JL is def. not a "bang for your buck", sorry to challenge your authority. the ZR series are like $800 and are LESS superior than a Focal k2P which can be purchased for half that. JL's XR line (next one down) is in the $400 range, but a Focal Access (<$200) will still outperform it IMO. No problem at all, I liked to be challenged when it comes to audio. When I say bang for the buck, JL Audio starts off at about $150 for their coaxials, where as Focal starts off at close to $300. Yes the Focals are much better, but twice as good? Maybe to you and I who know a lot about audio, but to the average consumer, maybe not. I am also going off of retail, as they will need to be compared equally.
"Im also not a huge fan of 8" woofers for subs. Just not big enough, and cant move enough air for "real" bass. I would at least go with a 10" driver for your sub."
agreed/stated already.

"Again another one of my opinions, stay away from Kicker. Their Solarbaric subwoofers are decent if you are looking for an SPL woofer, but they are not musical at all. Also they need a refigerator sized ported box to maximize their potential."
Kicker isn't that bad. Many people hate on them because most of the people who use them are the high school kids who want the loudest but not best SQ system, or real gangsta ass homies who put like twelve 15" subs in their suburban lol. In reality though, an L5 or L7 can and will produce nice tight, clean bass. My friend has two 10" in a sealed box and they get obnoxiously loud, but still produce a nice clean sound. I dont "hate" on any brands. I just know too much about Kicker to recommend them. Kicker has been around for a long time. I sold it for many years. It use to be a specialty brand, but now it is a mass produced "best buy" brand. You are right Kicker isnt "that bad". They just are not that good. Kick solobarics are made for SPL. Yeah they can sound half way decent, but they are "made" for SPL in mind. Also they are recommended to be mounted in huge ported boxes. Have you ever seen an L7 in Kickers manufactured box? It is so big, it wont even come close to fitting in our Turbo buicks trunks. And our trunks are friggin huge!!!
"Some subwoofers that I like that are reasonably priced, and are musical, and can pound if needed: JL W6, Alpine Type X, JBL GTI. Theres more out there, just 3 that came to mind first."
JL w3 will work fine. w6 is overkill IMO especially if you're not lookin for rap/hip-hop sound. screw alpine and JBL, these are mainstream brands you can buy at Pep Boys these days (even though Kicker is just as bad). JL, mmats, Kicker are the best brands to stick with that you can come by fairly easily. If you wanna know about some underground stuff, BOY do i have equipment for you! JL W6 may be a little overkill. I was just comparing to the Solobarics. Are remember that the W6 and W7 are very musical woofers. They can be used for an SQ system. Actually they are built for SQ in mind. Just look at JL Audio's new Fathom home subwoofers. They are winning all kinds of awards. The W3 are way underrated. They dont look like much but they can pound hard, and sound very musical. Alpine is a little mainstream. Im not their biggest fan, but I have to admit, their Type X woofers are pretty nice. Its funny that you say screw JBL. JBL is one of the oldest speaker manufacturers in the world. Movie Theaters, Concerts, recording studios all over the world use JBL. None of their car audio items are sold in mainstream stores like Best Buy or Circuit City. They are a very solid company, who has been around forever, and use amazing engineers. They are way "underrated" in the car audio industry. Especially by the younger crowd, who didnt grow up listening to music on a JBL system. Remember the company that owns JBL, also owns Infinity(which you recommended), Mark Levinson, Revel, Crown, and others. Most of you probably havent heard of some of those companies, but we are talking about the best of the best in high end audio period.

Sorry for the history lesson on audio. Im just a purist who has owned just about every piece of audio equipment you can think of, and just want to pass my knowledge to those who need it. Ive also worked in the audio industry for many years.
[/U][/B]

Cool stuff guys but lets get back to the original question :biggrin: . When I first got my car it too didn't have the Concert so I was stuck with just the front and rears. I had the old Pioneer 3.5's in the dash. Actually wern't too bad. For the rear I had (maybe even stock) 4x10's all running off the stock eg deck. Didn't sound too bad but wasn't terribly loud either. Then stepped up the deck to an Alpine unit with one pre-out and 35x4 from the deck. Better. Then came the 8" Bazooka in the trunk and 5 and a quarter Boston Acoustic big n littles. For the Bostons, I measured a stock concert door panel and cut my door panel to match. I built MDF adapters to fit in the hole and mounted them up. That served me for many years and really sounded pretty good. Sometime in there I installed the Phonix Gold and another Bazooka. We then got a great deal on a deck and some Focals for the front and here we are.

IMO, the Focals are the cleanest thing I have ever heard. I am amazed evertime I listen to them. Like stated before very bright but I like the brightness. Once the system was all complete I took it over to my crack dealer (that is what I call my audio guy) and ALL the guys from the store wanted their turn to hear thei CD. This is a store that builds some incredible stuff mind you. I am SO happy with it I smile every time I think about it. Not sure what could make it better at this point.

Anyway, my history in my Buick