I need info on one of my 153 blocks

slamming 6

Drag Master
I have two 153 blocks one block has cross bolted mains front&rear the other has all of them cross bolted don't know why any info would be appreciated. thanks AL.

Al,

It depends on the vintage of the block. Some of the Early On center blocks didn't have cross bolted mains and had a provision for a wet sump type oil pick up. Your 153 block with the 6 bolt mains was one of the latest castings. The other block you have with cross bolted #1 & #4 mains is the more common version.

Neal

slamming 6 said:
I have two 153 blocks one block has cross bolted mains front&rear the other has all of them cross bolted don't know why any info would be appreciated. thanks AL.

Thank's Neal I was worried about it guess I should have asked before final assembly.Thanks for the peace of mind now I can run the hell out of it and feel good doing it.

OC,

I know Ron Tarabori had a couple of those he sent me pics.of. It makes me wonder if they ever made 2 blocks the same. ;) I'm sure there are more variations I'm not aware of.

Neal

odell4o8 said:
i have a 153 4x block that has cross bolts in front only. :confused: oc,

750H.P.V6 said:
OC,

I know Ron Tarabori had a couple of those he sent me pics.of. It makes me wonder if they ever made 2 blocks the same. ;) I'm sure there are more variations I'm not aware of.

Neal
neal, i got it from ron, :)

750H.P.V6 said:
Your 153 block with the 6 bolt mains was one of the latest castings.

Neal,
Are you sure about this? I was told that it was one of the earlier 153's and they later changed to the 1&4 design. Not disagreeing, just curious

HighPSI said:
Neal,
Are you sure about this? I was told that it was one of the earlier 153's and they later changed to the 1&4 design. Not disagreeing, just curious

I run a 153 block with 6 bolt mains on all four. I was under the impression they were one of the very last castings and was told this by my machinist who also built a bunch of them back in the day for roundy round guys. I will check the casting date next time I'm out there, but I'm pretty sure it is a late 90's block.

HighPSI said:
Neal,

Cal,

I sent you a copy of the UNI-BORE sonic test sheet along with my virgin stage 2 block. It had the block build date on it. As I recall, it was built in the late 90's
and had the 1&4 design.

I tried to find my original copy, but just can't locate it right now. I'll continue to look and when I find it, I'll post the actual build date.

If you still have the sonic test sheet for my block in your files, it might answer this question of when the 1&4 or all 6 were built. I'm not sure, but I think my block was built on the last re-run of the Stage 2 block.

George

oldtimer said:
Cal,

I sent you a copy of the UNI-BORE sonic test sheet along with my virgin stage 2 block. It had the block build date on it. As I recall, it was built in the late 90's
and had the 1&4 design.

I tried to find my original copy, but just can't locate it right now. I'll continue to look and when I find it, I'll post the actual build date.

If you still have the sonic test sheet for my block in your files, it might answer this question of when the 1&4 or all 6 were built. I'm not sure, but I think my block was built on the last re-run of the Stage 2 block.

George

I found the build date info. The UNIBORE sonic test sheet indicates that my block was built on " 6-8-99 "

In early 1999, I heard a rumor that there was going to be a limited re-run of Stage 2 blocks. I went to a friend at GM and inquired if he could do a little investigating for me to see if the rumor was true. He confirmed the rumor so I had him put my name on the waiting list. My new Stage 2 block arrived about 7 months later.

It was the 1&4 crossbolt design. :D

Hope this helps !

George

Cal,

That's my understanding. Maybe it's a good question for Duttweiler next time I run into him. From what I've seen the 153 block evolved from No cross bolts to crossbolted #1 & 4 and then all 4 cross bolted with the center caps actually having 6 bolts. I was told there was actually a raised cam version of the block although I've never seen one. Kenny actually had a block with another oil pan configuration that had 4 bolt mains that weren't splayed in the middle. I'm sure Buick Motorsports cast up all kinds of application specific blocks over the years.

Neal

HighPSI said:
Neal,

The blocks Neal are refering to have a casting number that begins with 4X. The number is located vertically on the number 1 cylinder instead of in the rear like the others. It has splayed center mains and a cross bolt front main but no cross bolt rear main. I've had several of them. I believe I sold one to Kendall Fredericks and a new one I had went to Phila. area. I have one in my car now and the motor mount is in the way of reading the whole number but I'll look at it tomorrow. I'm thinking that they may have been cast for one of the Indy teams since they always cut the rear corners off. Also some are still wet sump and some aren't. You figure it out, I dont have a clue.