I need a street/strip 2004R converter

gg64ss

I couldn't think of a better place to ask. I would say you guys run more 2004R trannies than anyone. I have a 64 Chevy II with a 406 and a Procharger. I need a converter. I'd like to know who makes the best converter for the money. This is mainly a street car and occasional trips to the track. The motor is making in the neighborhood of 650 to 700 hp. I have a 9in. Art Carr that is stalling around 3600. Hartline did a tune on it and said I have to go to a lower stall. I need to be around 2800-3000. This 9in. is heating up pretty bad in traffic. I was under the impression that a larger converter does not create a much heat. Is this true?

I couldn't think of a better place to ask. I would say you guys run more 2004R trannies than anyone. I have a 64 Chevy II with a 406 and a Procharger. I need a converter. I'd like to know who makes the best converter for the money. This is mainly a street car and occasional trips to the track. The motor is making in the neighborhood of 650 to 700 hp. I have a 9in. Art Carr that is stalling around 3600. Hartline did a tune on it and said I have to go to a lower stall. I need to be around 2800-3000. This 9in. is heating up pretty bad in traffic. I was under the impression that a larger converter does not create a much heat. Is this true?

pats 10 inch Welcome to Pat's Performance Converters!

Alot of people here run the Art Carr non lock up unit like you have. Send it back and have it tightened up a little "O" or "P" stall is what you are looking for. If you want a lock up converter then the Precision Vigilante will also get the job done. Cal hartline can help you with either converter or offer other choices. Good Luck

I used the AC 16930 and got stall speeds in the range you're looking for. It isn't a bigger converter though. In 2yrs or so of daily driving, it never gave a hint of trouble and never seemed to overheat in the least. The car didn't make as much power though, and that can make a difference.

I have been on the phone this morning. I have learned a few things. I know now that Art Carr is not Art Carr. I understand now why I have read the "real" Art Carr. I have to change the location of my cooler. There is alot of conflicting information out there from different companies.

Do beware of which "Art Carr" you buy from. The only way to go is "the real Art Carr" by all means. That's my personal opinion, so take it as non-professional.